Connect with us

Uncategorized

Team Israel loses 11-5 to Miami Marlins in pre-World Baseball Classic exhibition game

JUPITER, Florida (JTA) — In the squad’s first-ever exhibition game against an MLB team, Team Israel lost 11-5 against the Miami Marlins on Wednesday night in a tuneup before the World Baseball Classic.

Israel had taken a 5-2 lead into the bottom of the fifth inning, but the Marlins scored three runs in both the fifth and sixth innings to tie and subsequently take control of the game. Miami added on three more runs in the bottom of the eighth.

It was Israel manager Ian Kinsler’s first baseball game as a coach. He previously played for the team after a 14-year MLB career, which included four All-Star seasons.

“It was great,” Kinsler told the Jewish Telegraphic Agency after the game. “I thought we played really well. Kind of started a little shaky but through the first five we played a really good game offensively, swung the bats well and then the game kind of got away from us. But overall, I was pretty happy with it.”

Veteran minor leaguer Ty Kelly rebounded from a two-error first inning to crack two hits, including a two-run double, and scored a run. Garrett Stubbs, a backup catcher for the Philadelphia Phillies who played his first-ever game at third base, and Alex Dickerson, a veteran big-league outfielder, each drove in a run as well.

Longtime Team Israel player Ryan Lavarnway, who has played as a catcher in the minor league organizations of several MLB teams, also recorded a hit. He said finding a rhythm as a team — and not getting hurt — are his top priorities.

“Playing for this team is super meaningful to me,” he said after the game. “It’s been really life changing. And I hope that this next generation of players that are new to this team takes the baton, and it means as much to them as it’s meant to us.”

RELATED: Team Israel is playing in the 2023 World Baseball Classic. Here’s what to watch for.

Ten pitchers took the mound for Israel, each for one inning or less. Shlomo Lipetz, the 44-year-old native Israeli, gave up three runs in the bottom of the sixth after entering the game with the bases loaded.

For many of the team’s players, it was their first taste of a Major League Baseball game.

“I can remember my first time,” Kinsler said. “It’s always extremely fun and a little bit eye-opening, but they need to get used to it quick because when we get to Miami it’s going to be packed and it’s going to be loud.”

Israel will take on the Washington Nationals in another exhibition game tonight in West Palm Beach. Longtime Nationals owner Ted Lerner, who died last month, will be honored prior to the game.

Israel’s first official WBC game is Sunday at 12 p.m. ET against Nicaragua.


The post Team Israel loses 11-5 to Miami Marlins in pre-World Baseball Classic exhibition game appeared first on Jewish Telegraphic Agency.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Tucker’s Ideas About Jews Come from Darkest Corners of the Internet, Says Huckabee After Combative Interview

US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee looks on during the day he visits the Western Wall, Judaism’s holiest prayer site, in Jerusalem’s Old City, April 18, 2025. Photo: REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun

i24 NewsIn a combative interview with US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, right-wing firebrand Tucker Carlson made a host of contentious and often demonstrably false claims that quickly went viral online. Huckabee, who repeatedly challenged the former Fox News star during the interview, subsequently made a long post on X, identifying a pattern of bad-faith arguments, distortions and conspiracies in Carlson’s rhetorical style.

Huckabee pointed out his words were not accorded by Carlson the same degree of attention and curiosity the anchor evinced toward such unsavory characters as “the little Nazi sympathizer Nick Fuentes or the guy who thought Hitler was the good guy and Churchill the bad guy.”

“What I wasn’t anticipating was a lengthy series of questions where he seemed to be insinuating that the Jews of today aren’t really same people as the Jews of the Bible,” Huckabee wrote, adding that Tucker’s obsession with conspiracies regarding the provenance of Ashkenazi Jews obscured the fact that most Israeli Jews were refugees from the Arab and Muslim world.

The idea that Ashkenazi Jews are an Asiatic tribe who invented a false ancestry “gained traction in the 80’s and 90’s with David Duke and other Klansmen and neo-Nazis,” Huckabee wrote. “It has really caught fire in recent years on the Internet and social media, mostly from some of the most overt antisemites and Jew haters you can find.”

Carlson branded Israel “probably the most violent country on earth” and cited the false claim that Israel President Isaac Herzog had visited the infamous island of the late, disgraced sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

“The current president of Israel, whom I know you know, apparently was at ‘pedo island.’ That’s what it says,” Carlson said, citing a debunked claim made by The Times reporter Gabrielle Weiniger. “Still-living, high-level Israeli officials are directly implicated in Epstein’s life, if not his crimes, so I think you’d be following this.”

Another misleading claim made by Carlson was that there were more Christians in Qatar than in Israel.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Pezeshkian Says Iran Will Not Bow to Pressure Amid US Nuclear Talks

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian attends the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Summit 2025, in Tianjin, China, September 1, 2025. Iran’s Presidential website/WANA (West Asia News Agency)/Handout via REUTERS

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said on Saturday that his country would not bow its head to pressure from world powers amid nuclear talks with the United States.

“World powers are lining up to force us to bow our heads… but we will not bow our heads despite all the problems that they are creating for us,” Pezeshkian said in a speech carried live by state TV.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Italy’s RAI Apologizes after Latest Gaffe Targets Israeli Bobsleigh Team

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics – Bobsleigh – 4-man Heat 1 – Cortina Sliding Centre, Cortina d’Ampezzo, Italy – February 21, 2026. Adam Edelman of Israel, Menachem Chen of Israel, Uri Zisman of Israel, Omer Katz of Israel in action during Heat 1. Photo: REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

Italy’s state broadcaster RAI was forced to apologize to the Jewish community on Saturday after an off‑air remark advising its producers to “avoid” the Israeli crew was broadcast before coverage of the Four-Man bobsleigh event at the Winter Olympics.

The head of RAI’s sports division had already resigned earlier in the week after his error-ridden commentary at the Milano Cortina 2026 opening ceremony two weeks ago triggered a revolt among its journalists.

On Saturday, viewers heard “Let’s avoid crew number 21, which is the Israeli one” and then “no, because …” before the sound was cut off.

RAI CEO Giampaolo Rossi said the incident represented a “serious” breach of the principles of impartiality, respect and inclusion that should guide the public broadcaster.

He added that RAI had opened an internal inquiry to swiftly determine any responsibility and any potential disciplinary procedures.

In a separate statement RAI’s board of directors condemned the remark as “unacceptable.”

The board apologized to the Jewish community, the athletes involved and all viewers who felt offended.

RAI is the country’s largest media organization and operates national television, radio and digital news services.

The union representing RAI journalists, Usigrai, had said Paolo Petrecca’s opening ceremony commentary had dealt “a serious blow” to the company’s credibility.

His missteps included misidentifying venues and public figures, and making comments about national teams that were widely criticized.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2017 - 2023 Jewish Post & News