RSS
‘UNRWA Gives Rise to Palestinian Terrorism’: Experts React to NYT Expose Revealing UN Staff Active Hamas Members

UNRWA Commissioner-General Philippe Lazzarini in Beirut, Lebanon, Sept. 17, 2024. Photo: REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir
Dozens of senior staff at UNRWA, including school principals, are active members of Hamas and other terrorist groups, according to a New York Times investigation published on Sunday, in revelations that sparked renewed calls to shutter and defund the controversial United Nations agency responsible for Palestinian refugees and their descendants.
The allegations exposed in the Times, based on firsthand testimonies as well as internal documents seized by the Israeli military from Hamas offices in the Gaza Strip, assert that at least 24 senior administrators and teachers employed by UNRWA at 24 different schools are registered members of Hamas or Palestinian Islamic Jihad. Many were also involved in armed activities, with some possessing weapons like rifles and grenades or engaging in combat training conducted by these groups.
However, UNRWA expert Einat Wilf — who previously served in Israel’s parliament, known as the Knesset — argued that the Times‘ exposé detracted from the real issue: that UNRWA perpetuates the conflict by entrenching the refugee narrative and fostering a new generation committed to terrorism.
“UNRWA is not infiltrated by Hamas; UNRWA is the soil that constantly gives rise to more violent Palestinian organizations,” Wilf told The Algemeiner.
Residents of Gaza told the Times that Hamas’s presence in UNRWA schools was “an open secret,” with one example of an UNRWA teacher “regularly seen after hours in Hamas fatigues carrying a Kalashnikov.”
The report noted Hamas tunnels running beneath UNRWA schools and referenced internal Hamas communications identifying specific schools as locations for concealing weapons, with some texts describing schools and other civilian areas as ideal shields, or, in their terms, “the best obstacles to protect the resistance.”
In one notable incident, UNRWA uncovered a tunnel running beneath one of its schools in central Gaza. The agency reported at the time that it had protested to Hamas about the tunnel’s presence and moved to seal the entrances. However, the seized documents revealed that the school’s principal, Khaled al-Masri — who UNRWA did not fire — is a Hamas member who had been issued weapons by the terrorist group, including an assault rifle and a handgun. Photographs on social media showed him standing before a Hamas banner.
“The UN has been unable and or unwilling to eliminate Hamas militants and their supporters, as well as those from other terrorist groups, from their ranks,” James Lindsay, who served as UNRWA’s general counsel until 2007, told the Times.
“UNRWA hiring practices and the makeup of the labor pool from which UNRWA draws its employees suggests to me that the numbers the Israelis are talking about are probably pretty close to the truth.”
UNRWA commissioner general Philippe Lazzarini claimed that the organization “lacked the resources” to independently investigate the allegations, according to the report.
He also said that it was “extraordinarily interesting” that Israel shared the documents with the Times rather than UNRWA, but failed to mention that the agency had rejected evidence of terrorist activities on the part of his staff on several occasions in the past.
After being confronted with footage showing UNRWA employees loading the corpse of a murdered Israeli into a vehicle during Hamas’s invasion of southern Israel last Oct. 7, the organization responded by stating that some of its staff “may” have been involved with Hamas.
“The UN seems intent on portraying this problem as a few bad apples, rather than acknowledging that the tree is rotten,” Amir Weissbrod, the Israeli foreign ministry’s deputy director for international organizations, told the Times.
The findings add to long-standing accusations that UNRWA’s operations in Gaza facilitate radicalization rather than fostering peace. Last month, Israel passed legislation banning the agency from operating within Israeli territory and prohibiting any Israeli authority from engaging with it.
Wilf commended the Israeli government for finally taking decisive action against the agency, saying that last month’s bill and the decision to expose the agency to the press marked an end to “decades of serving as UNRWA’s Iron Dome and protector.”
However, she went on to argue that the real issue with UNRWA is not limited to its staff’s ties to Hamas but its broader role in perpetuating the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and that while Palestinians often separate UNRWA employment from direct terror activity, “the wife will work as a teacher and get paid directly by UNRWA, and the husband will be a Hamas operative.”
The critical question, Wilf said, is not how many terrorists are paid by UNRWA but rather how many have been educated by the agency or falsely registered as refugees.
“How many of the terrorists, the butchers, not just of Hamas, but Palestinian terrorists over the years, how many of them have been educated by UNRWA? How many of them were living in neighborhoods that were misnamed refugee camps, even though they’re not camps and no one there is a refugee?” she said, adding that the answer is “practically everyone.”
UNRWA “secures the next generation of people who believe that it is their noble duty by any means necessary to ensure that Jews do not and will not have a sovereign state,” she concluded.
Marcus Sheff, CEO of the NGO IMPACT-se, which monitors UNRWA’s educational curricula, responded to the Times‘ report by saying it confirmed what the world has known for years. “Quite simply, Palestinian children are subjected to indoctrination on a grand scale — and UNRWA is one of the driving forces behind it,” he told The Algemeiner.
According to Sheff, the curriculum in UNRWA schools glorifies violence and promotes deeply antisemitic narratives. “UNRWA educates the majority of schoolchildren in the Gaza Strip,” he said. “They teach students that Jews are liars and fraudsters, that Jews spread corruption which will lead to their annihilation. They are told to ‘cut the necks of the enemy,’ that a massacre of Jews on a bus is to be celebrated as a BBQ party. Terrorists like Dalal Mughrabi, who murdered 38 people, including 13 children, are held up as role models. Many of the people running the schools, teaching, and creating educational content are members of terror organizations. UNRWA is not fit for purpose and should not be allowed to educate children.”
In 2018, the Trump administration cut all funding to UNRWA, calling the agency “irredeemably flawed,” a decision reversed by the Biden administration soon after taking office. Apart from the US, UNRWA receives funding from Canada and several EU states.
Fleur Hassan Nahoum, special envoy for Israel’s foreign ministry, called on those countries to cease all funding to the agency, which she described as an obstacle to peace.
“UNRWA was infiltrated by jihadi terrorists a long time ago,” she told The Algemeiner. “The world is now unearthing what we already knew. It is a poisonous organization taking us further away from peace. The question is now why are countries still funding them.”
The post ‘UNRWA Gives Rise to Palestinian Terrorism’: Experts React to NYT Expose Revealing UN Staff Active Hamas Members first appeared on Algemeiner.com.
RSS
New York City Jews Targeted for Most Hate Crimes in March, NYPD Stats Show

Orthodox Jewish man waiting for the train in the New York City subway. Photo: Hans Lucas via Reuters Connect.
Jews in New York City were victims of more hate crimes in March than any other group even as crime across the Five Boroughs fell to “historic” lows, according to statistics issued by the New York City Police Department (NYPD) on Thursday.
39 hate crimes targeted Jews last month, the Algemeiner reviewed data shows, outstripping the combined total of all other groups combined — 28 — and constituting 58 percent of all hate crimes reported to authorities. So far, there have born 85 antisemitic hate crimes in New York City through the first three months of 2025, with the month of February seeing a 100 percent increase in them over the previous year and March seeing no improvement at all.
The data continues a trend that has persisted for several years and concurred with a rise in antisemitic incidents across the US.
Jews represented a disproportionate share of hate crimes perpetrated in New York City in 2024 as well. Of the 641 total hate crimes tallied by the NYPD that year, Jews were victims of 345, which, in addition to being a 7 percent increase over the previous year, amounted to 54 percent of all hate crimes in the city.
As The Algemeiner has previously reported, antisemitic hate crimes have posed a major threat to the quality of life of New York City’s Orthodox Jewish community, which was the target in many of the incidents. In just eight days between the end of October and the beginning of November, three Hasidim, including children, were brutally assaulted in the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn. In one instance, an Orthodox man was accosted by two assailants, one masked, who “chased and beat him” after he refused to surrender his cellphone in compliance with what appeared to have been an attempted robbery.
In another incident, an African American male smacked a 13-year-old Jewish boy who was commuting to school on his bike in the heavily Jewish neighborhood. Less than a week earlier, an assailant slashed a visibly Jewish man in the face as he was walking in Brooklyn. Days after the week-long antisemitic hate crime spree, three men attempted to rob a Hasidic man after stalking him through the Crown Heights neighborhood.
Follow Dion J. Pierre @DionJPierre.
The post New York City Jews Targeted for Most Hate Crimes in March, NYPD Stats Show first appeared on Algemeiner.com.
RSS
NYC ‘Dyke March’ Bans Zionists From Participating in Annual Demonstration

(Source: Reuters)
NYC Dyke March, a public demonstration held by members of the lesbian community in New York City, has banned self-proclaimed “Zionists” from its annual event, citing a desire to stand against the so-called “genocide” occuring in Gaza.
The group revealed in a statement that their decision to ban Israel supporters from their ranks came after multiple members dropped out of the organization due to differences in “political beliefs and values.” After engaging in discussions with frustrated members, the NYC Dyke March committee agreed to adopt “an explicitly anti-Zionist position.” The organization claims that it will “strengthen our commitment” to fighting against Israel and advocating on behalf of Palestinians.
Last year, the NYC Dyke March previously came under scrutiny after organizers settled on “genocide” as the theme of its 2024 event. In a statement, decrying “ethnic cleansing, violence, and dehumanization,” the organization compared the ongoing war in Gaza, to the mass slaughters occurring in Ethiopia, Myanmar, and Sudan.
The organization plans on recycling the same theme for this year’s march, titling it “Dykes Against Genocide.” The group released a statement clarifying that Jews are allowed to attend and condemned the Oct. 7 slaughters as a “senseless loss of life.” After an apparent uproar from its members, the organization deleted the post and wrote that the group “unapologetically stands in support of Palestinian liberation.” In addition, the group affirmed that “anti-Zionism is not antisemitism and any language we put out which is not clearly opposed to a Zionist, imperialist agenda is harmful to us all.”
In the 17 months following the Hamas-led massacre of roughly 1200 people throughout Israel, the NYC Dyke March has produced numerous statements lambasting Israel and declaring “solidarity” with Palestinians amid their so-called “ongoing genocide.” The organization also accused Israel of engaging in supposed “pinkwashing” and “manipulative use of Jewish and queer identities,” with the aim of justifying its war efforts in Gaza.
Israel offers an expansive set of rights for members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transngender (LGBT) community, including recognition of same-sex marriages. Every year in June, Tel Aviv holds one of the largest LGBT Pride celebrations in the world. Meanwhile, members of the LGBT community are routinely imprisoned or murdered in other parts of the Middle East, including the Palestinian territories.
The NYC Dyke March’s announcement was met with widespread condemnation.
“You cannot exclude the majority of Jews and call yourself inclusive,” said the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) in a post on X/Twitter, adding that the group “essentially equates Zionism with racism” in their announcement.
The post NYC ‘Dyke March’ Bans Zionists From Participating in Annual Demonstration first appeared on Algemeiner.com.
RSS
Trump Administration Planning $510 Million Cut to Brown University Budget, Report Says

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks with journalists onboard Air Force One en route to Miami, Florida, U.S., April 3, 2025. REUTERS/Kent Nishimura
The Trump administration reportedly plans to terminate $510 million worth of federal contracts and grants awarded to Brown University, according to media reports.
Brown University’s failure to mount a satisfactory response to the campus antisemitism crisis, as well as its embrace of the diversity, equity, and, inclusion (DEI) movement — perceived by many across the political spectrum as an assault on merit-based upward mobility and causing incidents of anti-White and anti-Asian discrimination — prompted the alleged pending action by the federal government, according to the right-leaning outlet The Daily Caller.
The announcement comes as Brown scrambles to cover a $46 million budget shortfall and other universities across the country have faced similar funding cuts.
Brown University officials, however, denied that the university had received any directives from the Trump Administration.
“We have no information to substantiate these rumors,” Brown University provost Francis Doyle issued a statement. “We are closely monitoring notifications related to grants, but have nothing more we can share as of now.”
Meanwhile, Brown’s Jewish community rushed to the university’s defense, issuing a joint statement with the Brown Corporation which said that the campus is “peaceful and supportive campus for its Jewish community.”
The letter, signed by members of the local Hillel International chapter and Chabad on College Hill, continued: “Brown University is a place where Jewish life not only exists but thrives. While there is more work to be done, Brown, through the dedicated efforts of its administration, leadership, and resilient spirit of its Jewish community, continues to uphold the principles of inclusion, tolerance, and intellectual freedom that have been central to its identity since 1764.”
Brown Divest Coalition — an anti-Zionist group which recently saw its campaign for the university to adopt the boycott, divest, and sanctions (BDS) movement against Israel defeated by the Brown Corporation — weighed in too, denouncing the reported cut as “a means of suppressing all forms of popular dissent to the renewed violence of the US war machine abroad.” US Senator Jack Reed (D-RI) also criticized the move, accusing the administration “of a broader pattern of behavior…that will negatively impact communities across the country and lead to layoffs, restrict research, and more.”
As previously reported by The Algemeiner, the Trump administration is following through on its threats to inflict potentially catastrophic financial injuries on colleges and universities deemed as soft on antisemitism or excessively “woke.” The past six weeks has seen the policy imposed on elite universities including Harvard and Columbia, rattling a higher education establishment that has for better and worse operated for decades with little interference from the federal government even as it polarized the public and contributed to a growing sense that elites are contemptuous of Americans who live outside of their cultural enclaves.
In March, Secretary of Education Linda McMahon announced the cancellation of $400 million in federal contracts and grants for Columbia University, a measure that secured the school’s acceding to a slew of demands the administration put forth as preconditions for restoring the money. Later, the Trump administration disclosed its reviewing $9 billion worth of federal grants and contracts awarded to Harvard University, jeopardizing a substantial source of the school’s income over its alleged failure to quell antisemitic and pro-Hamas activity on campus following Hamas’s Oct. 7, 2023, massacre across southern Israel. Princeton University saw $210 million of its federal grants and funding suspended too, prompting its president, Christopher Eisgruber to say the institution is “committed to fighting antisemitism and all forms of discrimination.”
Additionally, 60 universities are being investigated by the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights over their handling of campus antisemitism, a project that will serve as an early test of the administration’s ability to perform the essential functions of the agency after downsizing its workforce to increase its efficiency.
One of those universities, Northwestern University, on Monday touted its progress in addressing campus antisemitism, noting that it has adopted the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA) definition of antisemitism, a reference tool which aids officials in determining what constitutes antisemitism, and begun holding “mandatory antisemitism training” sessions which “all students, faculty, and staff” must attend.
Follow Dion J. Pierre @DionJPierre.
The post Trump Administration Planning $510 Million Cut to Brown University Budget, Report Says first appeared on Algemeiner.com.