Connect with us

Uncategorized

A Brooklyn concert will celebrate the forgotten history of women cantors

(New York Jewish Week) — Jeremiah Lockwood, the singer, composer and frontman of The Sway Machinery, is preparing for an upcoming concert by “doing a lot of talking to ghosts.”

These “ghosts” are those of the Jewish women singers and cantors of the past century. As it happens, many women — not just men — have made deep contributions to Jewish spiritual life and music, but their stories were rarely told or preserved. 

Lockwood, 31, is hoping to rectify that. On Sunday, at the Brooklyn Conservatory of Music, Lockwood will unveil his newest composition of vocal music: “In di vayber shul” (“In the women’s synagogue”), which is inspired by the legacy of these nearly forgotten Jewish women.

“Chazzanus [cantorial music]is very important to me,” said Lockwood, who is currently a fellow at the Yale Institute of Sacred Music. “It’s the music that inspires my creative work and it’s part of my family heritage. It’s just the essential musical organizing point for my life.”

Lockwood’s father, Larry Lockwood, was a composer and his grandfather, Jacob Konigsberg, was a renowned cantor. “Growing up in a cantorial family, we were given the ideology that it was a male art form — that was a viewpoint that was held by both the male and female members of the family. But that’s not true,” he said. 

A lifelong New Yorker, Lockwood has been leading efforts to recognize and revive “the golden age of cantorial music,” sacred singing by Eastern European cantors on records and in live performances that became widely popular on record and live performances among Jewish audiences in the 1920s. Last year, he produced Golden Ages: Brooklyn Chassidic Cantorial Revival Today,” a 10-track album featuring six Brooklyn cantors singing in the style of this music, which is operatic with lots of technical flourish and improvisation.

Lockwood describes the past year studying women’s voices — voices both cantorial and in a broader sense — as a “shock of recognition.” “There were women who were prayer leaders in small towns in Europe,” he said. “There were women who were priests, professional healers and exorcists, parallel to the Baal Shem Tov [the 18th-century founder of Hasidic Judaism]. There were women who were doing healing work.”

Since beginning his study, Lockwood said he’s come to understand the historic power of women’s voices: in synagogues and spiritual spaces, on the Yiddish stage and radio, in community initiatives and in family life. They include women like Goldie Malavsky, who along with her father and six siblings formed the Malavsky Family Choir, which performed in concert halls and hotels. Malavsky went on to become an independent soloist who toured around the world in the second half of the 20th century. Another cantorial star was “Khazante” (female cantor) Perele Feig, who in the 1950s had a weekly radio program on WEVD, the Yiddish language radio station in New York, and toured the Eastern Seaboard. 

“It’s not shocking, it makes total sense. It fits well with what I understand about Jewish life,” he said of these women’s success. “The thing that’s surprising is just how thoroughly it’s been erased from contemporary Jewish life. I feel that is a problem.” Lockwood has mainly been using Jewish press archives to conduct his research and uncover these stories.

Lockwood’s piece, a tribute to these women’s voices and stories, is the culmination of his studies. The lyrics draw upon American and Yiddish language ethnographies — descriptions of Jewish society both in Europe and the immigrant communities of New York— as well as Eastern European folklore, Yiddish vaudeville and even contemporary music, like that of the late Jewish music composer Jewlia Eisenberg, a friend of Lockwood’s who died in March 2021. 

On Sunday, the one-hour concert will be performed by singers Judith Berkson, Yula Be’eri and Rachel Weston. (The program premieres the previous day in New Haven.)

“It’s important to me to get deeper into why their [women cantors’] story disappeared,”Lockwood said. “There’s a throughline of stories that have been eroded from public Jewish consciousness that has to do with the roles that women play in sustaining the spirit life of the community.” 

In di Vayber Shul” will be performed at Brooklyn Conservatory of Music (58 Seventh Ave.) on Sunday at 7:30 p.m. Tickets, from $11.44, are available here


The post A Brooklyn concert will celebrate the forgotten history of women cantors appeared first on Jewish Telegraphic Agency.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Do you suffer from ‘Israel Derangement Syndrome’? This ad says there’s a cure

It opens like a two-minute infomercial pulled off a 1990s VHS tape. Soft lighting, Clinton-era fashion, a narrator whose voice has the reassuring cadence of a prescription drug ad. “Do you or someone you love suffer from Israel Derangement Syndrome?” he asks.

The two-minute ad has become one of the most-shared clips on Jewish and pro-Israel social media this week — posted Wednesday morning, it garnered 2.6 million views on X by Thursday afternoon.

“Israel Derangement Syndrome” is presented like a real illness, complete with a fictional treatment center, the Clarity Center, and patients who describe “recovering.” The “symptoms” are a list of ways people criticize Israel and its supporters — bringing up the conflict unprompted, refusing to see any other issue in the world as important, being unable to acknowledge nuance. The “cure,” according to the ad, is just reading more and checking your sources. It ends with a rapid-fire list of side effects: “reading past the headline, a sudden interest in Middle East history, and a constant urge to touch grass.”

The ad’s target is obvious: people who are sharply critical of Israel. The name isn’t new. It’s modeled on “Trump Derangement Syndrome,” a term used to dismiss criticism of the president as pathology.

Why it lands the way it does

Anita Atwell Seate, a professor of communication at the University of Maryland who studies how people’s group identities shape the way they respond to criticism, called what’s happening in the video a textbook case of tribalism.

Our group memberships, she said, shape our psychological processes, since they’re so tied to our sense of self. That pushes us to process information in self-protective ways: “When we feel good about our social groups,” she said, “we feel good about ourselves.”

There’s a well-documented pattern researchers call the “intergroup sensitivity effect,” where people are far more willing to accept criticism from members of their own group than from people they see as outsiders. When criticism comes from outside, the instinct isn’t to engage with it; it’s to discredit whoever’s delivering it. “They’re deranged, they don’t understand facts,” Atwell Seate said, describing that reflex, which is more or less the whole premise of the ad.

She doesn’t see the video as an attempt at persuasion at all. “It doesn’t do anything to help change hearts and minds of the out-group,” she said “But it certainly does something important for the in-group, which is reify their beliefs.” Videos like this, she says, are like a pep talk — aimed at people who already agree, meant to bring them closer together.

Where it came from

It’s not entirely clear who actually made the video. What’s clear is that it was shared — and got millions of views — from an X account called the Trencher Broadcasting Company, whose bio reads: “Building the future of AI media. Mostly satire, always entertaining.” It appears to have been made with AI video tools, part of a broader wave of AI-generated political videos that have flooded social media this year.

TBC has posted this kind of thing before. Last week, the account shared an AI-fabricated video appearing to show Michigan Senate candidate Dr. Abdul El-Sayed and YouTube personality Ms. Rachel discussing Israeli “colonizers” with children — a conversation that never actually happened.

Ms. Rachel had, notably, donated to El-Sayed’s campaign, and both have been outspoken advocates for children in Gaza, which may have inspired the video.

The “Israel Derangement Syndrome” video ends with a display of fake contact info, which comes with its own punchline.

Call the phone number and it’s like spinning a roulette wheel. The first time I called, the robotic voice wanted to sell me a home security system. The second time: a medical alert device. And the third time, I got this message: “If you received a call displaying this telephone number on your caller ID, it has been spoofed, meaning the caller ID has been faked by a scammer trying to hide their actual telephone number. We are sorry this is occurring. Unfortunately, we cannot stop this from happening.”

The ad also promotes a website IDSHelp.org, a domain that was registered on Tuesday and redirects to DerekhLearning.com, the homepage of an AI-powered app for studying Torah and Talmud. It’s a fitting coda for a video built around telling people to check their sources.

The post Do you suffer from ‘Israel Derangement Syndrome’? This ad says there’s a cure appeared first on The Forward.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Did this field trip to a mosque violate the First Amendment? A group of Palo Alto parents think so.

A group of Jewish, Hindu and Zoroastrian parents and students are suing a California school district, alleging that a high school program’s field trip to a mosque — and no other houses of worship — violated the First Amendment.

The suit, brought forth by Community Members for Religious Neutrality in Public Schools – San Francisco Bay Area, focuses on two trips that were part of a social justice program at Palo Alto High School.

According to the complaint filed in the Northern District of California on August 7: “The district failed to maintain religious neutrality, failed to ensure equal treatment among faiths, failed to protect student privacy and failed to vet, supervise, and monitor religiously divisive outside speakers during the school-sponsored event.”

Community Members for Religious Neutrality in Public Schools nor the Palo Alto Unified School District immediately responded to requests for comment.

The trip was part of Palo Alto High’s Social Justice Pathway, where according to a promotional video, students in 10th through 12th grades take English and history courses “through a social justice lens rather than the standard analytical lens, where facts and dates are memorized.” Palo Alto High started the program in 2014.

Field trips around the Bay Area are a hallmark of the program, including travels to Angel Island, where many Asian immigrants arrived in the U.S. in the early 20th century, and to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. Students also have heard from a variety of speakers, including a Holocaust survivor and a Cambodian refugee.

The field trips to the mosque happened in 2022 and 2025. The plaintiffs include three Jewish Palo Alto High students, at least one of whom took part in the Social Justice Pathway.

The parent plaintiffs allege that the school had not fully informed them that their children were going to participate in “religiously inflected activity.”

According to the complaint, female students were encouraged to observe the customary dress code of wearing head coverings inside the mosque. They also observed a midday prayer, interacted with participants of a Quran memorization program, received Qurans as gifts and were “taught that Islam, in particular, promotes social justice,” the suit says.

“[The plaintiffs] belong to religious traditions that practice social justice,” the suit says. “The government’s endorsement of Islam in particular as a social justice faith denigrates their respective traditions and their identities as members of faith communities due equal treatment and appreciation within the District, State and country.”

The plaintiffs allege that the visit violated the First Amendment, since the public school was promoting a specific religion, and the 14th amendment, for elevating one religion over others.

A student at Palo Alto High who is part of the Social Justice Pathway disagreed, describing it as part of a broader religion unit.

“There was never a point on this trip where I felt in any way that the mosque or the school was trying to even suggest conversion,” he wrote in an Instagram comment on a local news post about the lawsuit. “The goal was obvious to us: Learn about an underrepresented religion present in our community.”

But plaintiffs also objected to the history of one of the speakers. Zahra Billoo, the executive director of the San Francisco Bay Area chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), who has faced allegations of antisemitism.

In 2019, Billoo was removed from the board of the Women’s March for past remarks she had made. She faced criticism for a 2021 Facebook post, where she warned against “polite zionists” like Hilllel and the Jewish federations, saying “they are not your friends.” A tweet of hers from October 7, 2023, following the Hamas-led terrorist attacks against Israel, also has faced scrutiny: “Pray for Gaza. We are witnessing decolonization,” she wrote.

In an emailed statement to the Forward, Billoo wrote, “Public schools have an obligation to remain neutral toward religion, but neutrality does not mean shielding students from learning about religion or religious communities.”

“Visiting a mosque, observing Muslims practice their faith, or learning about Islam is not the same as being compelled to practice Islam,” she wrote. “We are concerned that this lawsuit risks turning ordinary engagement with Islam and Muslims into something suspicious and could have a chilling effect on educators who want their students to learn about the diverse communities around them.”

But plaintiffs said allowing Billoo to speak with the students demonstrated negligence on the part of the school.

“Ms. Billoo was allowed unfettered access to students to advocate personal religious and political views without balancing perspective or adequate supervision.”

The school also allowed photos of the high schoolers to be taken at the event without parents’ permission, the suit says.

The post Did this field trip to a mosque violate the First Amendment? A group of Palo Alto parents think so. appeared first on The Forward.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Remains of last Israeli soldier missing from First Lebanon War’s Sultan Yacoub battle found

(JTA) — The remains of Yehuda Katz, the last Israeli soldier still missing from the 1982 Battle of Sultan Yacoub during the First Lebanon War, have been recovered after 44 years, the Israeli military said Tuesday, bringing to a close one of the country’s longest-running missing soldier cases.

Katz, a 22-year-old tank gunner and yeshiva student who disappeared just 10 days before he was due to complete his military service, was one of three soldiers whose fate was unknown for decades after Israeli forces became trapped by Syrian troops in Lebanon’s Bekaa Valley on June 11, 1982.

Twenty Israeli soldiers were killed and dozens more were wounded in the battle, with six initially listed as missing. Three were later returned or confirmed dead, leaving Katz, Zachary Baumel and Zvi Feldman as the only soldiers whose fate were unknown. The remains of Baumel and Feldman were recovered in separate operations in 2019 and 2025.

Katz’s remains were located during a special overnight operation carried out by the IDF in cooperation with Mossad and based on intelligence obtained in recent months. They were returned to Israel and military representatives informed Katz’s family of the discovery Tuesday morning.

For the soldiers who survived Sultan Yacoub, the news ended a wait that had followed them for much of their lives.

Avi Rath, who fought alongside Katz, said the unresolved fate of his comrade had stayed with him for decades. “The look on the family’s faces stays with you your entire life, a look that says, ‘You didn’t finish the job,’” Rath said in an interview on Tuesday with KAN public radio’s “Kalman Liberman” program. “Thank God, this closes a circle and resolves some of the uncertainty, but there is also great pain. It weighs on our conscience.”

Katz had studied in the Hesder program at Yeshivat Kerem B’Yavneh, combining Torah study with military service. According to the yeshiva, he slept barely four hours a night while immersed in his studies. He had planned to become a rabbi and teach at a yeshiva after completing his military service.

On the night before the battle, Katz gathered fellow soldiers around him and taught them Maimonides’ laws governing the conduct of Jewish soldiers in battle, the yeshiva said on its website. He then led them in singing Psalm 23, including the verse about walking through the valley of the shadow of death.

This article originally appeared on JTA.org.

The post Remains of last Israeli soldier missing from First Lebanon War’s Sultan Yacoub battle found appeared first on The Forward.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2017 - 2023 Jewish Post & News