Connect with us

Uncategorized

Haunted by War, Some Israelis Hesitate to Return to Kibbutz Attacked by Hamas

Kibbutz member Yael Raz Lachyani, 49, walks by the fence of Kibbutz Nahal Oz in southern Israel, Oct. 28, 2025. Hamas gunmen killed 15 people from Nahal Oz and took eight more hostage to Gaza on Oct. 7, 2023. Photo: REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun

Avishay Edri wants to move back to the kibbutz he evacuated in southern Israel after it was attacked by Palestinian terrorists two years ago, but is hesitating as fears persist that the war in nearby Gaza will resume and it will not be safe.

Edri, 41, has happy memories of raising his four children in Nahal Oz, just a few hundred meters across potato and sunflower fields from the border with the Gaza Strip.

But it is also where they spent 17 hours locked in a bomb shelter hiding from Hamas gunmen who killed 15 people in Nahal Oz and took eight back to Gaza as hostages on Oct. 7, 2023.

Since the Palestinian terrorist group and Israel agreed a ceasefire last month, relative calm has returned to the area, but Edri and other residents say relief is mixed with foreboding about what the future holds.

“We are very conflicted about moving back,” Edri told Reuters by telephone from a kibbutz in northern Israel.

“It has become very important to go back for the emotional closure after the helplessness and humiliation we went through,” he said. “But this conflicts with the logic about what will happen next.”

GRIEF, DISTRUST, AND UNCERTAINTY

The 2023 Hamas-led attack on southern Israeli communities led to two years of war until the ceasefire brokered by US President Donald Trump.

Despite flare-ups of violence that have strained the ceasefire, Israel has after two years lifted a state of emergency in areas near the Gaza border that had allowed the military to restrict citizens’ movements.

To encourage people to go home, the government has also said it will stop paying for residents of Nahal Oz to live elsewhere.

Faced with difficult questions about whether it is safe to return and how to rebuild homes and lives in a place that now holds traumatic memories of the Hamas-led attack, about half the 400 residents are yet to return.

All that separates Nahal Oz from Gaza are the fields and rows of barbed wire. The few residents who returned before the ceasefire said rockets fired at Israel by Palestinian terrorists sometimes landed in Nahal Oz as war raged in Gaza.

When Reuters visited the kibbutz last week, buildings still showed damage from rocket attacks, and the regular pounding of Israeli artillery could be heard as black smoke rose above Gaza.

WAR ERODES PEACE ADVOCACY

Before the war, many kibbutz residents advocated for peace with Palestinians, and Edri would drive sick Gazans to hospitals in Israel.

He said he would find that difficult now and described himself as “naive” for thinking individual actions could prevent war.

Asked whether he thought there could be peace, he said: “Perhaps after this huge catastrophe, people on both sides will see there is nothing to gain from this kind of war.”

But that felt unlikely, he said, echoing the thoughts of many Israelis.

The number of Israelis who think there can be a peaceful coexistence with a Palestinian state fell to 21 percent this year, from around 50 percent in 2013, according to a Pew Research Center survey.

FOUNDED BY SOLDIERS, SHATTERED BY WAR

Nahal Oz, which traditionally makes money from agriculture, was founded by soldiers three years after Israel’s independence in 1948. Many residents saw living there, despite the risks, as important for Israel to stake out territory for its survival.

Then came the 2023 attack in which 1,200 people were killed in southern Israel and 251 were taken hostage back to Gaza, leading Israel to launch its two-year military campaign against Hamas.

The Palestinian terrorists who entered Nahal Oz in 2023 killed residents while livestreaming their actions on social media using phones stolen from residents.

Walking near the border fence, Yael Raz Lachyani, 49, who grew up in the kibbutz and returned with her family in August, recalled going to the beach and eating in restaurants in Gaza in the early 1980s.

She used to think about the suffering of people on the other side of the fence at times of conflict, she said, but no longer has a “place in my very broken heart to think about them.”

Asked about the likelihood of another generation of violence, she said: “I hope not, but at the moment it feels most likely.”

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Tucker’s Ideas About Jews Come from Darkest Corners of the Internet, Says Huckabee After Combative Interview

US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee looks on during the day he visits the Western Wall, Judaism’s holiest prayer site, in Jerusalem’s Old City, April 18, 2025. Photo: REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun

i24 NewsIn a combative interview with US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, right-wing firebrand Tucker Carlson made a host of contentious and often demonstrably false claims that quickly went viral online. Huckabee, who repeatedly challenged the former Fox News star during the interview, subsequently made a long post on X, identifying a pattern of bad-faith arguments, distortions and conspiracies in Carlson’s rhetorical style.

Huckabee pointed out his words were not accorded by Carlson the same degree of attention and curiosity the anchor evinced toward such unsavory characters as “the little Nazi sympathizer Nick Fuentes or the guy who thought Hitler was the good guy and Churchill the bad guy.”

“What I wasn’t anticipating was a lengthy series of questions where he seemed to be insinuating that the Jews of today aren’t really same people as the Jews of the Bible,” Huckabee wrote, adding that Tucker’s obsession with conspiracies regarding the provenance of Ashkenazi Jews obscured the fact that most Israeli Jews were refugees from the Arab and Muslim world.

The idea that Ashkenazi Jews are an Asiatic tribe who invented a false ancestry “gained traction in the 80’s and 90’s with David Duke and other Klansmen and neo-Nazis,” Huckabee wrote. “It has really caught fire in recent years on the Internet and social media, mostly from some of the most overt antisemites and Jew haters you can find.”

Carlson branded Israel “probably the most violent country on earth” and cited the false claim that Israel President Isaac Herzog had visited the infamous island of the late, disgraced sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

“The current president of Israel, whom I know you know, apparently was at ‘pedo island.’ That’s what it says,” Carlson said, citing a debunked claim made by The Times reporter Gabrielle Weiniger. “Still-living, high-level Israeli officials are directly implicated in Epstein’s life, if not his crimes, so I think you’d be following this.”

Another misleading claim made by Carlson was that there were more Christians in Qatar than in Israel.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Pezeshkian Says Iran Will Not Bow to Pressure Amid US Nuclear Talks

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian attends the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Summit 2025, in Tianjin, China, September 1, 2025. Iran’s Presidential website/WANA (West Asia News Agency)/Handout via REUTERS

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said on Saturday that his country would not bow its head to pressure from world powers amid nuclear talks with the United States.

“World powers are lining up to force us to bow our heads… but we will not bow our heads despite all the problems that they are creating for us,” Pezeshkian said in a speech carried live by state TV.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Italy’s RAI Apologizes after Latest Gaffe Targets Israeli Bobsleigh Team

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics – Bobsleigh – 4-man Heat 1 – Cortina Sliding Centre, Cortina d’Ampezzo, Italy – February 21, 2026. Adam Edelman of Israel, Menachem Chen of Israel, Uri Zisman of Israel, Omer Katz of Israel in action during Heat 1. Photo: REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

Italy’s state broadcaster RAI was forced to apologize to the Jewish community on Saturday after an off‑air remark advising its producers to “avoid” the Israeli crew was broadcast before coverage of the Four-Man bobsleigh event at the Winter Olympics.

The head of RAI’s sports division had already resigned earlier in the week after his error-ridden commentary at the Milano Cortina 2026 opening ceremony two weeks ago triggered a revolt among its journalists.

On Saturday, viewers heard “Let’s avoid crew number 21, which is the Israeli one” and then “no, because …” before the sound was cut off.

RAI CEO Giampaolo Rossi said the incident represented a “serious” breach of the principles of impartiality, respect and inclusion that should guide the public broadcaster.

He added that RAI had opened an internal inquiry to swiftly determine any responsibility and any potential disciplinary procedures.

In a separate statement RAI’s board of directors condemned the remark as “unacceptable.”

The board apologized to the Jewish community, the athletes involved and all viewers who felt offended.

RAI is the country’s largest media organization and operates national television, radio and digital news services.

The union representing RAI journalists, Usigrai, had said Paolo Petrecca’s opening ceremony commentary had dealt “a serious blow” to the company’s credibility.

His missteps included misidentifying venues and public figures, and making comments about national teams that were widely criticized.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2017 - 2023 Jewish Post & News