Connect with us

Uncategorized

Israel Pushes Lebanon Army to Search More Intrusively for Hezbollah Arms, Sources Say

Smoke rises after Israeli strikes following Israeli military’s evacuation orders, in Tayr Debba, southern Lebanon, Nov. 6, 2025. Photo: REUTERS/Ali Hankir

Israel is pressing Lebanon‘s army to be more aggressive in disarming the Iranian-backed terrorist group Hezbollah by searching private homes in the south for weaponry, three Lebanese security officials and two Israeli officials have said.

The demand has emerged in recent weeks and been rejected by Lebanon‘s military leadership, who fear it would ignite civil strife and derail a disarmament strategy seen by the army as cautious but effective, the Lebanese security officials told Reuters.

The army is confident it can declare Lebanon‘s south free of Hezbollah arms by the end of 2025, in line with a truce deal that ended a devastating Israeli war with Hezbollah last year.

A sweep of valleys and forests has located more than 50 tunnels and resulted in the confiscation of over 50 guided missiles and hundreds of other weapons, according to two Lebanese civilian sources briefed on army operations.

But the army‘s plan never included searching private property, according to the Lebanese security officials. Israel doubts it will succeed without such measures.

LEBANESE AND ISRAELI ARMIES MONITOR CEASEFIRE

Two of the Lebanese security officials said Israel requested such raids in October meetings of the “Mechanism,” a US-led committee bringing together Lebanese and Israeli officers to monitor implementation of the truce.

Shortly after, Israel stepped up ground operations and air strikes in southern Lebanon, which it said were targeting attempts by Hezbollah to re-arm.

Those strikes were seen as a clear warning that failure to search more intrusively could prompt a new full-blown Israeli military campaign, the Lebanese security officials said.

“They’re demanding that we do house-to-house searches, and we won’t do that … we aren’t going to do things their way,” one of the officials said.

Hezbollah has been severely weakened by the Israeli incursion and by Israeli and US attacks on its backer Iran, but still wields enormous power among Shi’ites in Lebanon‘s fragile sectarian-based system of governance.

All the sources declined to be named because of the sensitivity of the issue.

The Lebanese army declined to comment, in line with its usual media policies.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office did not respond to a request for comment, but Netanyahu said on Nov. 2: “We expect the Lebanese government to do what it committed to do, namely to disarm Hezbollah, but it is clear that we will exercise our right to self-defense as stipulated in the ceasefire conditions. We will not allow Lebanon to become a renewed front against us and will act as needed.”

LEBANON WANTS TO AVOID SHOWDOWN

Lebanon‘s army fears that residents of the south would see house raids as subservience to Israel, which occupied south Lebanon for nearly two decades until 2000 before entering again last year, the Lebanese security officials said.

Beirut also worries that Israel will keep moving the goalposts, creating a permanent risk of escalatory strikes and undermining attempts to stabilize a country battered by geopolitical and economic upheavals, the security officials and a political official said.

But Israeli officials say Hezbollah is accelerating efforts to re-arm from properties in the south and further north, and that the Lebanese army is failing to confront it.

Israel passes intelligence on suspected Hezbollah depots to the Mechanism, which passes it to the Lebanese army to address. Israel has also taken direct action, notably against Hezbollah weapons transfers or when it deems Lebanese troops have not acted swiftly enough, an Israeli military official told Reuters.

The Lebanese security officials insist that new army checkpoints around the south are preventing Hezbollah from moving weapons.

Hezbollah denies it is rebuilding in the south.

It has not obstructed Lebanese army sweeps there and has not fired on Israel since last year’s ceasefire.

But it has also repeatedly refused to disarm fully. This week, it issued a public statement saying it has a “legitimate right” to defend Lebanon against Israel.

The Israeli military official said that Hezbollah wanted to remain a dominant force in Lebanon – a desire shared by Iran.

US NUDGES LEBANON TOWARD TALKS

Beirut is also being urged by the United States to establish political channels with Israel to reach a lasting ceasefire and resolve their long-standing land border dispute.

“The path … needs to be to Jerusalem or Tel Aviv for a conversation,” US envoy Thomas Barrack said at a security conference in Bahrain this month.

He suggested President Joseph Aoun “pick up the phone and call Netanyahu and say, ‘let’s end this garbage.’”

Aoun has said he is ready for talks, without saying whether he would consider direct contact. Hezbollah has rejected all negotiations, and the four Lebanese officials remained wary.

They pointed to Gaza and Syria, where Israel added last-minute conditions that halted progress towards ending conflict, and said its demand for house raids amounted to the same thing.

“The format doesn’t matter as much as the commitment,” the Lebanese political official said.

“Direct, indirect, the Mechanism, something else. Once there is Israeli commitment and US guarantees, then we can start putting the pieces on the board.”

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Tucker’s Ideas About Jews Come from Darkest Corners of the Internet, Says Huckabee After Combative Interview

US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee looks on during the day he visits the Western Wall, Judaism’s holiest prayer site, in Jerusalem’s Old City, April 18, 2025. Photo: REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun

i24 NewsIn a combative interview with US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, right-wing firebrand Tucker Carlson made a host of contentious and often demonstrably false claims that quickly went viral online. Huckabee, who repeatedly challenged the former Fox News star during the interview, subsequently made a long post on X, identifying a pattern of bad-faith arguments, distortions and conspiracies in Carlson’s rhetorical style.

Huckabee pointed out his words were not accorded by Carlson the same degree of attention and curiosity the anchor evinced toward such unsavory characters as “the little Nazi sympathizer Nick Fuentes or the guy who thought Hitler was the good guy and Churchill the bad guy.”

“What I wasn’t anticipating was a lengthy series of questions where he seemed to be insinuating that the Jews of today aren’t really same people as the Jews of the Bible,” Huckabee wrote, adding that Tucker’s obsession with conspiracies regarding the provenance of Ashkenazi Jews obscured the fact that most Israeli Jews were refugees from the Arab and Muslim world.

The idea that Ashkenazi Jews are an Asiatic tribe who invented a false ancestry “gained traction in the 80’s and 90’s with David Duke and other Klansmen and neo-Nazis,” Huckabee wrote. “It has really caught fire in recent years on the Internet and social media, mostly from some of the most overt antisemites and Jew haters you can find.”

Carlson branded Israel “probably the most violent country on earth” and cited the false claim that Israel President Isaac Herzog had visited the infamous island of the late, disgraced sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

“The current president of Israel, whom I know you know, apparently was at ‘pedo island.’ That’s what it says,” Carlson said, citing a debunked claim made by The Times reporter Gabrielle Weiniger. “Still-living, high-level Israeli officials are directly implicated in Epstein’s life, if not his crimes, so I think you’d be following this.”

Another misleading claim made by Carlson was that there were more Christians in Qatar than in Israel.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Pezeshkian Says Iran Will Not Bow to Pressure Amid US Nuclear Talks

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian attends the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Summit 2025, in Tianjin, China, September 1, 2025. Iran’s Presidential website/WANA (West Asia News Agency)/Handout via REUTERS

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said on Saturday that his country would not bow its head to pressure from world powers amid nuclear talks with the United States.

“World powers are lining up to force us to bow our heads… but we will not bow our heads despite all the problems that they are creating for us,” Pezeshkian said in a speech carried live by state TV.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Italy’s RAI Apologizes after Latest Gaffe Targets Israeli Bobsleigh Team

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics – Bobsleigh – 4-man Heat 1 – Cortina Sliding Centre, Cortina d’Ampezzo, Italy – February 21, 2026. Adam Edelman of Israel, Menachem Chen of Israel, Uri Zisman of Israel, Omer Katz of Israel in action during Heat 1. Photo: REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

Italy’s state broadcaster RAI was forced to apologize to the Jewish community on Saturday after an off‑air remark advising its producers to “avoid” the Israeli crew was broadcast before coverage of the Four-Man bobsleigh event at the Winter Olympics.

The head of RAI’s sports division had already resigned earlier in the week after his error-ridden commentary at the Milano Cortina 2026 opening ceremony two weeks ago triggered a revolt among its journalists.

On Saturday, viewers heard “Let’s avoid crew number 21, which is the Israeli one” and then “no, because …” before the sound was cut off.

RAI CEO Giampaolo Rossi said the incident represented a “serious” breach of the principles of impartiality, respect and inclusion that should guide the public broadcaster.

He added that RAI had opened an internal inquiry to swiftly determine any responsibility and any potential disciplinary procedures.

In a separate statement RAI’s board of directors condemned the remark as “unacceptable.”

The board apologized to the Jewish community, the athletes involved and all viewers who felt offended.

RAI is the country’s largest media organization and operates national television, radio and digital news services.

The union representing RAI journalists, Usigrai, had said Paolo Petrecca’s opening ceremony commentary had dealt “a serious blow” to the company’s credibility.

His missteps included misidentifying venues and public figures, and making comments about national teams that were widely criticized.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2017 - 2023 Jewish Post & News