Connect with us

Uncategorized

Mayim Bialik Expresses Solidarity With Israelis in Rocket-Attacked City Named After Her Ancestor

By SHIRYN GHERMEZIAN (Septs. 25, 2024) Jewish actress and neuroscientist Mayim Bialik shared on Tuesday a message of support for residents of Kiryat Bialik, a northern city in Israel named after her great-great-grandfather’s cousin, after it was hit with heavy rocket fire this past weekend from the Lebanese Hezbollah terrorist group.

“You may have seen that Iran-backed Hezbollah hit Kiryat Bialik this weekend,” the former “The Big Bang Theory” star wrote in an Instagram post. “Thousands of rockets have been fired upon Israel by Hezbollah over the last year, and the situation in the north is intensifying in terrifying ways … My heart is with all the innocent civilians of Kiryat Bialik.”

The city was named after Israel’s national poet laureate Haim Nahman Bialik, who is related to the actress. He died in 1934 of a heart attack at the age of 61 in Vienna, Austria. Bialik House, his former home in Tel Aviv, has been converted to a museum dedicated to the poet and his work. Most major cities in Israel also have a street named after him, Bialik noted in her Instagram post. She added that her ancestor was “a Zionist visionary, a gifted poet, and a lover of Israel.”

Hezbollah launched more than 100 rockets and drones at northern Israel over the weekend and three people suffered shrapnel wounds.

Bialik was honored with the Ambassadors for Peace award on Tuesday night at a gala hosted by Creative Community for Peace (CCFP), a nonprofit organization comprised of members of the entertainment industry who have the shared goal of combating antisemitism and the cultural boycott of Israel while using the arts to promote peace. Upon accepting the award at the CCFP gala on Tuesday night, Bialik spoke about “feeling overwhelmed” since the Oct. 7 Hamas massacre that took place in southern Israel.

“I took my oldest son to college this week as my family is sleeping in bomb shelters in Israel. That contrast is what many of us are feeling for this entire year,” she said. “CCFP was founded over a decade ago but I do admit that it wasn’t until Oct. 7 that the work of CCFP became an integral part of my daily life. I want to thank everyone at CCFP for the support that has given me the ability to stand strong in the face of intimidation, threats, hatred, and ignorance.”

The post Mayim Bialik Expresses Solidarity With Israelis in Rocket-Attacked City Named After Her Ancestor first appeared on Algemeiner.com.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Tucker’s Ideas About Jews Come from Darkest Corners of the Internet, Says Huckabee After Combative Interview

US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee looks on during the day he visits the Western Wall, Judaism’s holiest prayer site, in Jerusalem’s Old City, April 18, 2025. Photo: REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun

i24 NewsIn a combative interview with US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, right-wing firebrand Tucker Carlson made a host of contentious and often demonstrably false claims that quickly went viral online. Huckabee, who repeatedly challenged the former Fox News star during the interview, subsequently made a long post on X, identifying a pattern of bad-faith arguments, distortions and conspiracies in Carlson’s rhetorical style.

Huckabee pointed out his words were not accorded by Carlson the same degree of attention and curiosity the anchor evinced toward such unsavory characters as “the little Nazi sympathizer Nick Fuentes or the guy who thought Hitler was the good guy and Churchill the bad guy.”

“What I wasn’t anticipating was a lengthy series of questions where he seemed to be insinuating that the Jews of today aren’t really same people as the Jews of the Bible,” Huckabee wrote, adding that Tucker’s obsession with conspiracies regarding the provenance of Ashkenazi Jews obscured the fact that most Israeli Jews were refugees from the Arab and Muslim world.

The idea that Ashkenazi Jews are an Asiatic tribe who invented a false ancestry “gained traction in the 80’s and 90’s with David Duke and other Klansmen and neo-Nazis,” Huckabee wrote. “It has really caught fire in recent years on the Internet and social media, mostly from some of the most overt antisemites and Jew haters you can find.”

Carlson branded Israel “probably the most violent country on earth” and cited the false claim that Israel President Isaac Herzog had visited the infamous island of the late, disgraced sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

“The current president of Israel, whom I know you know, apparently was at ‘pedo island.’ That’s what it says,” Carlson said, citing a debunked claim made by The Times reporter Gabrielle Weiniger. “Still-living, high-level Israeli officials are directly implicated in Epstein’s life, if not his crimes, so I think you’d be following this.”

Another misleading claim made by Carlson was that there were more Christians in Qatar than in Israel.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Pezeshkian Says Iran Will Not Bow to Pressure Amid US Nuclear Talks

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian attends the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Summit 2025, in Tianjin, China, September 1, 2025. Iran’s Presidential website/WANA (West Asia News Agency)/Handout via REUTERS

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said on Saturday that his country would not bow its head to pressure from world powers amid nuclear talks with the United States.

“World powers are lining up to force us to bow our heads… but we will not bow our heads despite all the problems that they are creating for us,” Pezeshkian said in a speech carried live by state TV.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Italy’s RAI Apologizes after Latest Gaffe Targets Israeli Bobsleigh Team

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics – Bobsleigh – 4-man Heat 1 – Cortina Sliding Centre, Cortina d’Ampezzo, Italy – February 21, 2026. Adam Edelman of Israel, Menachem Chen of Israel, Uri Zisman of Israel, Omer Katz of Israel in action during Heat 1. Photo: REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

Italy’s state broadcaster RAI was forced to apologize to the Jewish community on Saturday after an off‑air remark advising its producers to “avoid” the Israeli crew was broadcast before coverage of the Four-Man bobsleigh event at the Winter Olympics.

The head of RAI’s sports division had already resigned earlier in the week after his error-ridden commentary at the Milano Cortina 2026 opening ceremony two weeks ago triggered a revolt among its journalists.

On Saturday, viewers heard “Let’s avoid crew number 21, which is the Israeli one” and then “no, because …” before the sound was cut off.

RAI CEO Giampaolo Rossi said the incident represented a “serious” breach of the principles of impartiality, respect and inclusion that should guide the public broadcaster.

He added that RAI had opened an internal inquiry to swiftly determine any responsibility and any potential disciplinary procedures.

In a separate statement RAI’s board of directors condemned the remark as “unacceptable.”

The board apologized to the Jewish community, the athletes involved and all viewers who felt offended.

RAI is the country’s largest media organization and operates national television, radio and digital news services.

The union representing RAI journalists, Usigrai, had said Paolo Petrecca’s opening ceremony commentary had dealt “a serious blow” to the company’s credibility.

His missteps included misidentifying venues and public figures, and making comments about national teams that were widely criticized.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2017 - 2023 Jewish Post & News