Local News
Josh Bellan cast in lead male role as Eric in Rainbow Stage’s upcoming production of “A Little Mermaid”…Becky Frohlinger to play Jetsam
By MYRON LOVE Rainbow Stage, Canada’s only summer musical theatre in a park, has since its earliest days, had a strong connection to our Jewish community. The opening benefit concert in 1954 listed among its featured performers the Jewish community choir led by Cantor Benjamin Brownstone – and, of course, Jack Shapira served as executive producer from 1965 to 1988.
Over the years, many Rainbow Stage productions have included one or more members of uor Jewish community in the cast. This year is no exception. The first production of the season, “Rent” – which ran from June 26 to July 16 – featured by now veteran performers Eliot Lazar playing one of the leads and Rochelle Kives as a member of the ensemble and understudy to one of the leads.
In the upcoming Rainbow Stage production of “The Little Mermaid” – scheduled to run from August 16 to September 3 – rising local musical theatre star Josh Bellan has been cast in the lead role of Eric, the little mermaid’s love interest.
When this writer last wrote about Bellan in 2019, the 24-year-old son of the late Murray Bellan and Robyn Zimberg had been making his first turn on the stage in a lead role in Winnipeg Studio theatre’s production of the musical version of “Reefer Madness”.
Over the past four years, the multi-talented Bellan reports, he has been kept busy with some film and stage work, teaching voice and guitar, and playing guitar accompanying some musical productions. This summer, not only is he playing the lead in “Mermaid,” he is also serving as one of the musicians – guitar and keyboard – for Rainbow Stages’ two other productions – the aforementioned “Rent” and “Afterlight” (September 21-October 1 at the Franco Manitoban Cultural Centre). The latter production, Bellan notes, is the love story between a 500-year-old vampire and an elderly insomniac widow desperately searching for her missing husband.
(“Afterlightt” is the co-creation by local performers Sharon Bajer and Duncan Cox.)
“I am very excited,” he says about his first lead role at the outdoor summer theatre. “I really appreciate this opportunity.”
He reports that he has some tentative theatre work lined up for next year. In the meantime, he will be continuing his teaching and picking up various guitar gigs.
Bellan says that for now,. his career plan is to remain based in Winnipeg but also be available for theatrical opportunities elsewhere.
“I am always excited to be home again,” says Becky Frohlinger, who is playing the role of Jetsam in “The Little Mermaid.”
At 29, the Toronto-based daughter of Heather Pullan and Tom Frohlinger is already a seasoned veteran. She has been involved in musical theatrical productions for as long as she can remember. “I followed in the shoes of my brother and sister,” she said in an earlier interview. “Musical theatre is my passion. I wouldn’t be happy doing anything else.”
She started dancing lessons when she was five or six. While growing up, she appeared in multiple RMTC shows, including appearances in “Gypsy” and “White Christmas”.
After finishing high school in Winnipeg, Becky applied to a number of musical theatre schools in the United States. “I auditioned for 14 schools and was lucky enough to be accepted to Elon University in North Carolina,” she said. “Elon has one of the top five musical theatre schools in the country. It was an incredible experience. Elon really prepares you for the professional world.”
Frohlinger was most recently back in Winnipeg in December to appear in the Manitoba Theatre for Young People’s production of “A Charlie Brown Double Bill.” The year before, she co-starred in the WJT production of “Dear Jack, Dear Louise.”
For the past few years, she reports, she has been appearing in productions right across the country. She has just finished a cross-Canada tour of “Glory,” a new musical created by Canadian playwright Tracey Power, which is based on the true story of four young Canadian women in 1933 who set out to prove that women could play hockey too.
“I played the role of one of the women ho was Jewish and also had to deal with anti-Semitism,” she notes.
And after “The Little Mermaid” -. “I am always open to new opportunities,” she says.
Local News
Temple Shalom, Etz Chayim Yom Tov Services to be Held in Different Locations this Fall
By MYR0N LOVE In 2025, one of the most interesting aspects of Yom Tov in Winnipeg was the official debut of new rabbis Carnie Rose and Myriam Saitman, at the Shaarey Zedek Synagogue and Temple Shalom respectively – also the imminent departure of Rabbi Yossi Benarroch, since 2016 the Adas Yeshrun Herzlia congregation’s spiritual leader.
This year, The Jewish Post’s pre-Yom Tov story has a different focus. Due to water damage caused by heavy rain in June (see story in previous issue of The Jewish Post) Temple Shalom’s congregation has had to move out of their building until renovations are complete and will be holding Yom Tov services at the Berney Theatre. Also, Congregation Etz Chayim will be returning to its building on Wilkes for Yom Tov after holding services in a larger facility last year and having Yom Kippur services at a Holiday Inn the year before.
“This year,” says Morissa Granove, Congregation Etz Chayim’s COO, “we are very happy to be bringing the High Holy Days home to 1155 Wilkes Avenue. We will be hosting two services each day and have had an overwhelming response to our ticket sales. Our daytime morning services have already sold out, and we expect to have a full house at each of our services this year. We are excited for everything to come.”.
It was about two-and-a-half years ago that Etz Chayim members relocated to Wilkes from their 70-year-old building on Matheson in the North End. Granove reported last year that the move south has “proven to be a great success in many ways. Operational expenses are greatly reduced in the newer and more efficient space, and our congregation is seeing an increase in attendance at services, programs, and events due to their new, convenient location”.
Etz Chayim’s services’ will be led once again by Rabbi Kliel Rose (see related story about his departure for Ottawa immediately after Yom Kippur) and Cantor Tracy Kasner, while newly anointed Cantor Kevin McIntyre will be reading the Torah. There will also be a youth and family service with activities for kids of all ages.
For further information about Etz Chayim’s High holiday services, phone 204 589-6305 or email info@etzchayim.ca.
Congregation Shaarey Zedek, our community’s oldest and largest synagogue, would like to invite members of the community to join and experience “a season of Unity, Enlightenment, Invigoration, and Renewal with services in the Sanctuary,” says Dr. Rena Secter Elbaze, the congregation’s executive director.
“We anticipate that our services – featuring Senior Rabbi Carnie Shalom Rose, Rabbi Anibal Mass, and Cantor Leslie Emery – accompanied by the Shaarey Zedek Quartet and Ruach Choir with piano accompaniment – will be spiritually uplifting,” Elbaze says.
“Due to high demand, we are also delighted to offer two Family Services for Young Families, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, in the Tova Vickar Family Childcare Centre. These engaging services will be led by Rabbi Anibal Mass, with support from our Youth Band, Shinshinim – Israeli Youth Ambassadors, and dedicated volunteers.”
Looking back over the past year, Elbaze reports that Shabbat morning and weekday services have been attracting “a widening circle for prayer, learning, and breaking bread under the leadership of our dedicated clergy team”.
“Our Tova Vickar and Family Childcare Centre is fully operational,” she continues, “and is already recognized provincially for achievement and excellence and connecting childcare families to synagogue life.”
She adds that the congregation’s membership base is growing, with 98 families/ households having joined since July of last year – including new members and those who have re-joined – for a total of 228 people of all ages.
As well, she notes, the congregation’s sisterhood and the Hebros Men’s Group are thriving, drawing a broad demographic of participants seeking Jewish learning, camaraderie, and connection. As well, Elbaze adds, the Young Adult Group is engaging in synagogue life and gathering regularly for Shabbat dinners and Jewish holiday celebrations.
“Our Israeli Youth Ambassador program, the Shinshinim, is infusing youth programming with dynamism, creativity, and a meaningful connection to Israel” she points out.
Readers who want to contact the Shaarey Zedek about Yom Tov tickets can call the office at 204 452-3711 or email Rena at rena@szwinnipeg.ca.
As mentioned above, Temple Shalom will be holding High Holy Day services in the Berney Theatre at the Asper Campus. Rabbi Myriam Saitman, who received her ordination last year, noted in last year’s Jeiwsh Post pre-Yom Tov story, “We are looking forward to 10 days of introspection focused on teshuva and we invite our congregation to experience the message, the spirituality, the music, and the poetry of the High Holidays”.
Temple Shalom High Holiday services will, once again, be led by Rabbi Saitman, along with Cantorial Soloist David Vamos – accompanied by the Temple choir led by Janet Pelletier Goetze.
For further information about Temple Shalom’s Yom Tov services, phone 204-453-1625 or email tshalom1@gmail.com.
South end Winnipeg further offers a fourth liberal Jewish option in the form of Rabbi Matthew Leibl’s “Services on the River: A Modern High Holy Days”. This is the fourth year that Rabbi Leibl will be leading his own services at The Gates on Roblin.
Services will be on the second day of Rosh Hashanah, September 13, starting at 10:00 A.M., while the Kol Nidre service will be on September 20 at 6:00 P.M., with the Yom Kippur service the following morning at 10:00 A.M. Rabbi Leibl will again be joined by the husband-and-wife cantorial team of Justin Odwak and Sarah Sommer, leaders of the SOTR Quartet. New this year will be The Shofar Club Kids Program, led by Halley Ritter for children ages 4-12.
For tickets, email support@tobatickets.ca, or call (during office hours) 204-934-7564.
South Winnipeg’s orthodox options are the Adas Yeshurun Herzlia and the Lubavitch Centre. High Holy Day services at Adas Yeshurun will be led by Rabbi Yossi Benarroch – with Aden Benarroch serving as Chazzan Sheini. Adas Yeshurun has approximately 100 membership units and can comfortably accommodate 250 worshippers. Please call the synagogue office – at 204 489-6262. to confirm attendance before September 9.
The Lubavitch Centre has a capacity of between 200 and 300. There is no charge for davening at Chabad, nor do you have to register in advance.
Still with south Winnipeg – The Simkin Centre offers one more High Holy Day option. Services are all held in their multi-purpose room. Family members can join but priority seating is reserved for residents. Steven Hyman will lead the services along with the Simkin Centre Choir, directed by Bonnie Antel.
If you have any questions, contact Rabbi Matthew Leibl or Heather Blackman, Manager of Resident Experience, either by phone 204 589-9008 or email heather.blackman@simkincentre.ca, so that she knows how many to plan for.
In the North End, High Holiday service options are more limited. The Chevra Mishnayes in Garden City offers an egalitarian service. Synagogue president Rob Waldman reports that about 100 attended services last year and that he is expecting about the same this year. Services will be led by Al Benarroch. For further information phone the office at 204-338-8503.
Both the venerable House of Ashkenazi, the last of our community’s older-style Orthodox congregations, and the Chavurat Tefila Talmud Torah offer Orthodox services- with each attracting about 30 to 40 daveners for the High Holy Days. The latter will have Avi Posen back again to lead services while long time Cantor Adi Stoller will be back for another Yom Tov at the Ashkenazi.
While Camp Massad has also long offered a modified Yom Tov service, the camp at Sandy Hook will bel closed for Yom Tov this year while renovations are underway.
Yom Tov this year begins on Friday, September 11, in the evening.
Wishing all readers a sweet new year.
Local News
A photo that’s being circulated on the internet about me
(Posted originally on August 10; updated August 18) By BERNIE BELLAN For those of you not familiar with nutjob Michael Kalo – the psycho who created the notorious “$hitler’s List” years ago and the same psycho who went after Ben Carr, well – now he’s obviously taken a strong disliking to the stance I’ve taken on the Nakba exhibit at the Canadian Museum for Human Rights. (You can read elsewhere on this website how I posted the entire exhibit as it is – and asked readers to form their own opinions. I also posted a number of opinion pieces about the Nakba exhibit, including one that was critical of the exhibit.)
Kalo likes to send out emails to various individual using phony names – such as Frank Ostrowski. When people ask me (or asked Ben Carr) why we don’t take action against him by suing him, my answer is: What’s the use? He would only bask in the attention. Further, he’s penniless.
He’s gone after so many prominent Jews in Winnipeg, if you didn’t know better you’d think that he would have been targeted by an organization like B’nai Brith, which claims to catalogue all incidents of antisemitism in Canada. But I guess it puts B’nai Brith and other Jewish organizations in a quandary. What can you do when the worst antisemite in Winnipeg is himself a Jew?
I’ve put a call into the hate crimes unit of Winnipeg Police Service and am waiting to hear back from the constable who’s looking into this case of Kalo posting a picture of me with Hitler. But Kalo would probably revel in having a hate crime charge filed against him.
So Michael – enjoy the attention you’re receiving. I know how much of an embarrassment you are to your wonderfully talented daughters.

For more on Michael Kalo and how he got his comeuppance from a Ben Carr campaign worker, go to Michael Kalo
Local News
Simkin Centre to build new child care centre next to existing personal care home
(August 17, 2026) By BERNIE BELLAN A large crowd was on hand this morning in the Simkin Centre atrium to watch as representatives of the federal and provincial governments; Laurie Cerqueti, CEO of the Simkin Centre; donors, and representatives of donors all stood together to announce a new child-care centre to be built adjacent to the Simkin Centre personal care home.

The $17.6 million project will be funded by a combination of public and private money. Of the total cost, $4.5 million will be coming from a capital grant from the Canada-Manitoba child-care agreement, while the other $13.1 million will be coming from a combination of donations and grants.
Once completed, the new child-care centre, which will be called the Faye Vickar Lazer Early Learning Centre, will have 152 licensed spaces for children up to 12 years of age.
The centre will be operated by the Rady JCC. In a press release issued by the Rady JCC, it was noted that, “in total, the centre will provide care for 24 infants, 68 preschool-aged children, 30 nursery-aged children and 30 school-aged children, helping address the significant need for accessible, high-quality, and affordable childcare in Winnipeg.”
The release also noted that currently “The Rady JCC currently operates two early learning centres, the Kaufman Child Care Centre and David & Ruth Asper Early Learning Centre, and has a waitlist of more than 600 families. “

The centre itself will be part of a new wing of the Simkin Centre (on the north side), which is currently a staff parking lot, to be called the Gray Family Centre. In addition to the day care portion, the wing will also house a multi-purpose area for community programming and worship, a grand gallery and a wellness centre.
In explaining why the Simkin Centre has now expanded its focus from some of the oldest members of our community to some of the youngest, Simkin Centre CEO Laurie Cerqueti said “being in this business for over 30 years now, I know things that make our residents happy are music, animals, and children. So, if we’re going to be able to bring the children here on a regular basis, it’s going to make life all that much better for our residents.”
Construction of the centre is slated to start this October and be completed in May 2028.


