Connect with us
Israel Bonds RRSP

RSS

‘I Am Not Taking You, Dirty Jew’: Paris Cab Driver Charged With Discrimination, Violent Threats

A placard equating Zionism with Nazism is displayed at an Oct. 23 pro-Hamas demonstration in the Place de la Republique in Paris. Photo: Reuters/ Valerie Dubois

A taxi driver in Paris has been charged with discrimination and making death threats after he refused to drive a Jewish family who arrived on a flight from Israel at Orly Airport in the French capital.

French media reported on Friday that the family of two parents with their three children were subjected to vicious antisemitic abuse from the driver as they waited in a taxi line outside the airport after disembarking a flight from Tel Aviv on Oct. 11 — four days after the Hamas pogrom in southern Israel in which more than 1,200 people were murdered.

As the family tried to enter the taxi, the driver told the father, “I am not taking you, dirty Jew.” He then added in both French and Arabic, “If I did take you, I would kill you, your wife, and your children.”

A police investigation into the 28-year-old driver, who has not been named, was launched after the father reported his family’s ordeal to the local authorities. A report from the Paris Prefect of Police specified that he had not pursued a complaint “for fear of reprisals.”

The driver appeared in a court in the Paris suburb of Creteil on Nov. 9. charged with making “repeated death threats” based on ethnicity and religion. His trial will not commence until May 6 next year.

One of the taxi companies which uses the driver’s services announced that he had been suspended.

The company, G7, said that while the incident at Orly was not the result of one of its bookings, it had suspended the driver “to show absolute firmness towards all forms of violence and discrimination.”

French Transport Minister Clement Beaune condemned the incident, calling it an “act of absolute gravity” and pledging, “we’re not going to let anything pass.”

Earlier this month, French Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin announced that 1,518 acts of antisemitism had been recorded since the Hamas atrocities on Oct. 7 — a national record, and more than three times the 436 acts reported during the entirety of 2022.

The post ‘I Am Not Taking You, Dirty Jew’: Paris Cab Driver Charged With Discrimination, Violent Threats first appeared on Algemeiner.com.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

RSS

Israel Reprimands Brazil For Holocaust Comparison

Brazil’s new President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva gestures as he is sworn in at the National Congress, in Brasilia, Brazil, January 1, 2023. Photo: REUTERS/Jacqueline Lisboa

Israeli leaders blasted Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva for his comparison of Israel’s war against the Hamas terrorist group in Gaza to the Holocaust.

“By comparing Israel’s war in Gaza against Hamas, a genocidal terrorist organization, to the Holocaust, President da Silva has disgraced the memory of the 6 million Jews murdered by the Nazis and demonized the Jewish state like the most virulent anti-Semite,” Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a statement Monday. “He should be ashamed of himself.”

Additionally, Brazil’s ambassador to Israel was called for a reprimand by Foreign Minister Israel at Yad Vashem, Israel’s national Holocaust memorial and museum.

Speaking to the press before the meeting, Katz said “I brought you to a place that testifies more than anything the Nazis did who murdered 6 million of our Jewish people. The comparison of the President of Brazil between Israel’s just war against Hamas and the Nazis’ and Hitler’s act of extermination against the Jews is a disgrace and a serious antisemitic attack. I would like to convey to the president that we will not forgive him and he is an unwanted personality in Israel as long as he does not retract and apologize.”

The moves come after the Brazilian leftist leader told the African Union summit “What’s happening in the Gaza Strip isn’t a war, it’s a genocide. It’s not a war of soldiers against soldiers. It’s a war between a highly prepared army and women and children.” Continuing, he said “What is happening in the Gaza Strip with the Palestinian people hasn’t happened at any other moment in history, except one: When Hitler decided to kill the Jews.”

The Brazilian Israelite Confederation spoke out against da Silva’s statement, saying they “offend the memory of Holocaust victims and their descendants” and are a “perverse distortion of reality.”

Brazil’s leader joins South Africa’s government in calling Israel’s defensive war “genocide.” The latter filed charges against Israel accusing it of the crime, of which the International Court of Justice in The Hague is currently debating.

On October 7 more than 1,200 Israelis were killed and over 240 taken hostage by Hamas. The Hamas run Gaza Health Ministry has said since the attack, nearly 30,000 Gazans have been killed. This number does not take into consideration terrorists killed or Palestinians killed by errant Hamas rocket fire.

The IDF is reportedly operating at a “1:1 civilians to combatant” death ratio, according to a statement from Prime Minister Netanyahu. Netanyahu lamented the civilian casualties but pointed out that such a ratio is unheard of in modern warfare, pointing to the nearly 4:1 ratio during the US and its allies bombings of Mosul against ISIS.

 

 

The post Israel Reprimands Brazil For Holocaust Comparison first appeared on Algemeiner.com.

Continue Reading

RSS

Amid Security Fears, Muslim Access to the Temple Mount During Ramadan Will Be Limited

Palestinians walk at the compound that houses Al-Aqsa Mosque, known to Muslims as Noble Sanctuary and to Jews as Temple Mount, in Jerusalem’s Old City May 21, 2021. Photo: REUTERS/Ammar Awad

i24 NewsAs the month of Ramadan approaches, concerns over security have prompted Israeli authorities to implement limitations on Muslim access to the Temple Mount site, and Al-Aqusa Mosque.

The decision, made in accordance with recommendations from the Minister of National Security Ben Gvir, comes amidst opposition from the Minister of Defense Gallant, Shin Bet, and the army.

The restrictions include a cap on the number of individuals permitted to enter the site, with additional sorting based on age. While the details regarding the authorization of Palestinians from East Jerusalem are pending, the implementation of security measures proposed by Itamar Ben Gvir, which would allow security forces to intervene in response to provocative behavior, was rejected.

Under the current plan, only Muslim pilgrims aged 60 or above with permits issued by the Shin Bet will be granted access to the Temple Mount. However, domestic intelligence agencies have expressed reservations, fearing that such restrictions could exacerbate tensions and fuel Hamas’s rhetoric about Israel’s intentions to seize the site and deny Muslims access.

This sentiment was echoed by Walid Al-Huashla, an Arab MP from the Ra’am party, who condemned the decision as dangerous and racist. Al-Huashla warned of the potential consequences of the measures, accusing Prime Minister Netanyahu of capitulating to provocateurs and exacerbating tensions in Jerusalem.

The post Amid Security Fears, Muslim Access to the Temple Mount During Ramadan Will Be Limited first appeared on Algemeiner.com.

Continue Reading

RSS

Unopened Medicine Boxes Bearing Names of Israeli Hostages Found in Hospital Raid

Some of the drugs found at the hospital. Photo: IDF

i24 NewsThe Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) and Shin Bet forces executed a strategic mission at Nasser Hospital in Gaza, resulting in the arrest of hundreds of terrorists and the discovery of a cache of weapons hidden within the hospital premises.

Prior to entering the hospital complex, the forces engaged in intense battles, including face-to-face combat and repelling rocket fire from within the hospital compound.

The forces apprehended numerous terrorists and terror suspects who had sought refuge within the hospital including individuals linked to the October 7th massacre. These individuals were subsequently transferred to security forces for further investigation.

IDF releases footage of soldiers uncovering unopened boxes of medicine in Al-Nasser Hospital that were meant to be transferred to Israeli hostages – some of which should have been refrigerated but was found sitting out. pic.twitter.com/wWAJqvmEz4

— i24NEWS English (@i24NEWS_EN) February 18, 2024

During the operation, a substantial quantity of weapons was seized, with some weapons concealed in a vehicle believed to have been used in previous terrorist attacks. Additionally, a vehicle belonging to Kibbutz Nir Oz, which had apparently been stolen, was recovered from the hospital vicinity.

IDF forces also discovered un-opened boxes of medicine bearing the names of Israeli hostages. The packages were found sealed and undistributed, raising concerns about the previous breached agreement in which Qatar would distribute medicine for the chronically ill hostages.

The medical assistance includes essential treatments such as inhalers for asthma patients, medications for diabetics, insulin injections, glucometers, medications for heart disease and blood pressure, as well as treatments for intestinal infections and thyroid gland imbalances.

During talks, Qatar had committed to providing verifiable proof to Israel that the medications will indeed reach the hostages. However the IDF finding the France-sent boxes with medicine, indicates the never reached the hostages.

The post Unopened Medicine Boxes Bearing Names of Israeli Hostages Found in Hospital Raid first appeared on Algemeiner.com.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2017 - 2023 Jewish Post & News