Uncategorized
Iranian-Jewish former state senator files to run against George Santos
(New York Jewish Week) – George Santos, the self-proclaimed “Jew-ish” Republican congressman who has spread a series of falsehoods about his background, now has at least one actual Jewish challenger: Anna Kaplan, an Iranian-American former Democratic state senator from Santos’ New York district.
Kaplan filed paperwork yesterday to run for Congress against Santos, who was elected last year and whose district covers parts of Queens and Long Island.
Kaplan, 57, was the first Iranian-American elected to New York’s state senate, and served from 2019-2022, representing the seventh district, which covers part of Long Island’s north shore. She lost her reelection campaign last fall to Republican Jack Martins, in what became a GOP sweep of Long Island.
During her tenure, she championed issues of concern to Jewish voters, including in her efforts to pass a long-stalled bill that authorizes the state to survey whether and how school districts are teaching about the Holocaust. Kaplan was a 2022 honoree of the New York Jewish Week’s “36 to Watch.”
“As a Jewish political refugee who has fought tirelessly for the memory of the Holocaust to be preserved and honored, I’ve been outraged and disgusted by the insane lies that George Santos has told to our community,” she said in a statement in January to Jewish Insider. “I’m heartbroken that our community won’t have true representation as long as he’s occupying our seat in Washington.”
Born in Tabriz, Iran in 1965, Kaplan came to the United States alone at age 13, fleeing Iran’s Islamic Revolution. She lived briefly in Crown Heights, Brooklyn and then Chicago, Illinois with a foster family, before reuniting with her family in Queens. She went on to earn an undergraduate degree from Yeshiva University’s Stern College and to graduate from the university’s Cardozo School of Law.
If she secures the nomination, she may face Santos, a freshman Republican congressman who has drawn national attention for allegedly embellishing and falsifying large parts of his biography, including that he has Jewish heritage and family members who survived the Holocaust.
Despite Santos’ claims, a number of media outlets, including JTA, have uncovered evidence that he has no Jewish ancestry. More recently, Santos has said that his repeated claims of being Jewish were a “party favor joke.”
In January, the Nassau County Republican Committee called on Santos to resign. He has refused, and filed to run for reelection in April. The committee has reportedly considered replacements for Santos, including Martins and Mazi Melesa Pilip, an Ethiopian Jew of color who currently serves in the Nassau County legislature.
Gothamist reported that three other candidates have also filed to run against Santos in next year’s elections, though so far, Kaplan is the only one with prior experience as an elected official.
—
The post Iranian-Jewish former state senator files to run against George Santos appeared first on Jewish Telegraphic Agency.
Uncategorized
Tucker’s Ideas About Jews Come from Darkest Corners of the Internet, Says Huckabee After Combative Interview
US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee looks on during the day he visits the Western Wall, Judaism’s holiest prayer site, in Jerusalem’s Old City, April 18, 2025. Photo: REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun
i24 News – In a combative interview with US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, right-wing firebrand Tucker Carlson made a host of contentious and often demonstrably false claims that quickly went viral online. Huckabee, who repeatedly challenged the former Fox News star during the interview, subsequently made a long post on X, identifying a pattern of bad-faith arguments, distortions and conspiracies in Carlson’s rhetorical style.
Huckabee pointed out his words were not accorded by Carlson the same degree of attention and curiosity the anchor evinced toward such unsavory characters as “the little Nazi sympathizer Nick Fuentes or the guy who thought Hitler was the good guy and Churchill the bad guy.”
“What I wasn’t anticipating was a lengthy series of questions where he seemed to be insinuating that the Jews of today aren’t really same people as the Jews of the Bible,” Huckabee wrote, adding that Tucker’s obsession with conspiracies regarding the provenance of Ashkenazi Jews obscured the fact that most Israeli Jews were refugees from the Arab and Muslim world.
The idea that Ashkenazi Jews are an Asiatic tribe who invented a false ancestry “gained traction in the 80’s and 90’s with David Duke and other Klansmen and neo-Nazis,” Huckabee wrote. “It has really caught fire in recent years on the Internet and social media, mostly from some of the most overt antisemites and Jew haters you can find.”
Carlson branded Israel “probably the most violent country on earth” and cited the false claim that Israel President Isaac Herzog had visited the infamous island of the late, disgraced sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
“The current president of Israel, whom I know you know, apparently was at ‘pedo island.’ That’s what it says,” Carlson said, citing a debunked claim made by The Times reporter Gabrielle Weiniger. “Still-living, high-level Israeli officials are directly implicated in Epstein’s life, if not his crimes, so I think you’d be following this.”
Another misleading claim made by Carlson was that there were more Christians in Qatar than in Israel.
Uncategorized
Pezeshkian Says Iran Will Not Bow to Pressure Amid US Nuclear Talks
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian attends the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Summit 2025, in Tianjin, China, September 1, 2025. Iran’s Presidential website/WANA (West Asia News Agency)/Handout via REUTERS
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said on Saturday that his country would not bow its head to pressure from world powers amid nuclear talks with the United States.
“World powers are lining up to force us to bow our heads… but we will not bow our heads despite all the problems that they are creating for us,” Pezeshkian said in a speech carried live by state TV.
Uncategorized
Italy’s RAI Apologizes after Latest Gaffe Targets Israeli Bobsleigh Team
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics – Bobsleigh – 4-man Heat 1 – Cortina Sliding Centre, Cortina d’Ampezzo, Italy – February 21, 2026. Adam Edelman of Israel, Menachem Chen of Israel, Uri Zisman of Israel, Omer Katz of Israel in action during Heat 1. Photo: REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha
Italy’s state broadcaster RAI was forced to apologize to the Jewish community on Saturday after an off‑air remark advising its producers to “avoid” the Israeli crew was broadcast before coverage of the Four-Man bobsleigh event at the Winter Olympics.
The head of RAI’s sports division had already resigned earlier in the week after his error-ridden commentary at the Milano Cortina 2026 opening ceremony two weeks ago triggered a revolt among its journalists.
On Saturday, viewers heard “Let’s avoid crew number 21, which is the Israeli one” and then “no, because …” before the sound was cut off.
RAI CEO Giampaolo Rossi said the incident represented a “serious” breach of the principles of impartiality, respect and inclusion that should guide the public broadcaster.
He added that RAI had opened an internal inquiry to swiftly determine any responsibility and any potential disciplinary procedures.
In a separate statement RAI’s board of directors condemned the remark as “unacceptable.”
The board apologized to the Jewish community, the athletes involved and all viewers who felt offended.
RAI is the country’s largest media organization and operates national television, radio and digital news services.
The union representing RAI journalists, Usigrai, had said Paolo Petrecca’s opening ceremony commentary had dealt “a serious blow” to the company’s credibility.
His missteps included misidentifying venues and public figures, and making comments about national teams that were widely criticized.
