Connect with us

RSS

Israel’s Shin Bet, Military Open Investigations Into Events Leading Up to Oct. 7 Massacre

Israeli soldiers look at the remains of a police station which was the site of a battle following a mass infiltration by Hamas gunmen from the Gaza Strip, in Sderot, southern Israel, Oct. 8, 2023. Photo: REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun

Israel’s internal security agency, the Shin Bet, has begun conducting an investigation into the operational reasons for the failures leading up to and during Hamas’ Oct. 7 massacre across southern Israel.

The Shin Bet is probing various units to examine how Palestinian terrorists from Gaza were able to launch the surprise invasion, in which about 1,200 people were killed and another 250 taken as hostages, Israeli media reported.

The investigation will last at least a few weeks and potentially take months because the war in Gaza is still ongoing. The state comptroller has reportedly begun gathering evidence to support the investigation.

Such a probe was expected, though many observers were unsure if Shin Bet head Ronen Bar would wait until the end of the war to begin.

Shortly following the Hamas atrocities of Oct. 7, Bar issued a statement taking responsibility for the security failures of that day.

“Despite a series of actions we carried out, unfortunately, on Saturday we were unable to generate sufficient warning that would allow us to foil the attack,” he said at the time. “As the one who is at the head of the organization, the responsibility for this is on me. There will be time for investigations — now we are fighting.”

Reports have already come about some of the alleged failures by the Shin Bet, including news from last week that hundreds of Israeli SIM cards were activated in the Gaza Strip in the hours before the attack, which could have indicated plans for an invasion.

Additionally, it was reported shortly following the war’s launch that the Israeli security establishment, including Bar and IDF Chief of Staff Herzi Halevi, met from midnight until 5 am shortly before the morning attack, concluding that the invasion that began only an hour later would not actually occur.

Beyond the Shin Bet, the Israeli army this week also announced its own internal investigation into the events of Oct. 7.

“Just as charging in the face of enemy fire requires strength and courage, so also facing the interrogations requires courage and leadership,” Halevi wrote in a letter to Israel Defense Forces (IDF) commanders.

“The purpose of the investigation is one: learning. We experienced difficult events at the beginning of the fighting, we failed to protect civilians — a supreme task,” the chief of staff continued. “If we do not courageously analyze what we have done, we will find it difficult to learn and improve; we will find it difficult to stand up to the citizens of Israel and say that we have tested and learned and will know how to protect them better.”

The post Israel’s Shin Bet, Military Open Investigations Into Events Leading Up to Oct. 7 Massacre first appeared on Algemeiner.com.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

RSS

OCAD University student is seeking $1M in damages—alleging a lack of protection from threats and abuse

Samantha Kline, 22, presented photos of antisemitic graffiti she says targeted her.

The post OCAD University student is seeking $1M in damages—alleging a lack of protection from threats and abuse appeared first on The Canadian Jewish News.

Continue Reading

RSS

Palestinian Islamic Jihad Releases New Propaganda Video of Israeli Hostage

Israeli hostage Alexander (Sasha) Trufanov as seen in a propaganda video released by Palestinian Islamic Jihad. Photo: Screenshot

The Palestinian Islamic Jihad terrorist group on Tuesday released a short propaganda video featuring Israeli hostage Alexander (Sasha) Trufanov, 28, who was kidnapped by Palestinian terrorists during Hamas’ Oct. 7 massacre across southern Israel.

The 30-second undated video shows Trufanov, an Amazon employee, identifying himself and saying that he will soon discuss what has happened to him and other hostages in Gaza.

Similar videos have been released by terrorists groups in Gaza. Israel has lambasted them as psychological warfare.

Trufanov’s mother said in a video released by the family that she was happy to see her son after all this time, but “it was heartbreaking” that he had been a hostage for so long.

Trufanov was an engineer at the Israeli microelectronics company Annapurna Labs, which Amazon owns.

Hamas-led Palestinian terrorists abducted over 250 people during their Oct. 7 onslaught. Trufanov was kidnapped alongside his mother, grandmother, and girlfriend.

All three were released as part of a temporary ceasefire agreement negotiated in November. His father, Vitaly Trufanov, was one of the 1,200 people killed during the Hamas massacre.

“The proof of life from Alexsander (Sasha) Trufanov is additional evidence that the Israeli government must give a significant mandate to the negotiating team,” the Hostages Families Forum, which represents the families of the hostages, said in a statement.

More than 120 hostages remain in Gaza, which is ruled by Hamas. Islamic Jihad is a separate but allied terrorist organization in the Palestinian enclave. Both are backed by Iran, which provides them with money, weapons, and training.

Negotiations brokered by Qatar, Egypt, and the US to reach a ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas in Gaza have been stalled for weeks.

The post Palestinian Islamic Jihad Releases New Propaganda Video of Israeli Hostage first appeared on Algemeiner.com.

Continue Reading

RSS

Gal Gadot’s Action Movie Nabs Second Place on Netflix List of Most Watched Films in Second Half of 2023

Gal Gadot as Rachel Stone in a scene from the trailer for “Heart of Stone.” Photo: YouTube screenshot

Netflix released its engagement report that details the films with the most views from July 1 to Dec. 31, 2023, and Israeli actress Gal Gadot’s action thriller Heart of Stone secured the number two spot with 109.6 million views.

The film — starring Gadot alongside Jamie Dornan and Bollywood actress Alia Bhatt in leading roles — was the runner-up to Leave the World Behind, the drama starring Julia Roberts, Mahershala Ali, and Ethan Hawke that garnered 121 million views on Netflix.

Heart of Stone, directed by Tom Harper, was released on the streaming giant on Aug. 11 of last year. The action film is about international intelligence operative Rachel Stone, played by Gadot, who goes on a mission to protect an artificial intelligence system, known as The Heart, from falling in the wrong hands. The film was produced by Pilot Wave, a company founded by Gadot and her husband Jaron Varsano.

Gadot also stars in Netflix’s most popular film of all time, Red Notice, alongside Dwayne Johnson and Ryan Reynolds.

The post Gal Gadot’s Action Movie Nabs Second Place on Netflix List of Most Watched Films in Second Half of 2023 first appeared on Algemeiner.com.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2017 - 2023 Jewish Post & News