Connect with us

Uncategorized

Netanyahu withdraws his decision to fire his defense minister, citing violence

(JTA) — Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu withdrew his firing of Defense Minister Yoav Gallant, citing a sharp rise in violence in recent days, and suggested that proposed changes to the country’s judicial system that have sparked widespread protest were no longer imminent.

In another concession to the hundreds of thousands of Israelis who have flooded the streets to protest the planned changes, Netanyahu added on Monday that a yet-to-be established national guard corps would not answer directly to his far-right national security minister, Itamar Ben-Gvir.

“In recent days, we have worked and stood together around the clock on all fronts in the face of security challenges,” Netanyahu said, referencing multiple terror attacks that have rocked Israel, in addition to rockets fired from Lebanon and the Gaza Strip over the Passover holiday. “We had differences, even tough differences, on a number of topics, but I decided to leave these differences behind us. Gallant remains in his job.”

Netanyahu fired Gallant, a member of his Likud Party, late last month after the defense minister called for a pause in legislation that would sap much of the Supreme Court’s power and independence. The proposed reforms triggered a massive protest movement and criticism from across the political spectrum and around the world. After Israeli soldiers began to join the protests by refusing to show up for duty, Gallant called the situation an issue of national security, and his firing added fuel to the fire for protest leaders.

Despite Netanyahu’s announcement of the firing, Gallant had remained in the post.

Asked by a reporter if the reforms were “dead,” Netanyahu said that while he has a “clear mandate to repair the judiciary,” he was now seeking consensus. “What we must concentrate on now is to try and arrive at a broad agreement,” he said, without suggesting a timetable.

Netanyahu also made clear that he was not entrusting the establishment of a proposed new national guard to the minister who demanded it in turn for agreeing to temporarily shelve the judicial legislation. Ben-Gvir had threatened to leave the government unless the guard was established.

“This will not be anyone’s militia, it will be a security body, orderly, professional, that will be subordinate to one of the [existing] security bodies,” Netanyahu said.

Netanyahu also dismissed claims that ties with the United States are suffering because of the Biden administration’s disapproval of the judicial proposals and others favored by the far right in Netanyahu’s coalition.

He noted his friendship of 40 years with Biden and the countries’ close military and intelligence ties. “The U.S. is our indispensable ally,” he said.

He added that he was not worried that Biden had yet to invite him to the White House. “There will be a visit, don’t worry,” he said.

Near the beginning of the press conference, Netanyahu blamed the preceding government and his political opponents for allowing a spike in terror and broadcasting weakness to Israel’s enemies.

His predecessor, Yair Lapid, tweeted after the speech that Netanyahu was “losing control in front of the nation.” Lapid, who is currently leader of the parliamentary opposition, also praised Netanyahu’s decision to retain Gallant.

“It’s time for him and his ministers to stop whining and to finally take responsibility,” Lapid wrote.


The post Netanyahu withdraws his decision to fire his defense minister, citing violence appeared first on Jewish Telegraphic Agency.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Tucker’s Ideas About Jews Come from Darkest Corners of the Internet, Says Huckabee After Combative Interview

US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee looks on during the day he visits the Western Wall, Judaism’s holiest prayer site, in Jerusalem’s Old City, April 18, 2025. Photo: REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun

i24 NewsIn a combative interview with US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, right-wing firebrand Tucker Carlson made a host of contentious and often demonstrably false claims that quickly went viral online. Huckabee, who repeatedly challenged the former Fox News star during the interview, subsequently made a long post on X, identifying a pattern of bad-faith arguments, distortions and conspiracies in Carlson’s rhetorical style.

Huckabee pointed out his words were not accorded by Carlson the same degree of attention and curiosity the anchor evinced toward such unsavory characters as “the little Nazi sympathizer Nick Fuentes or the guy who thought Hitler was the good guy and Churchill the bad guy.”

“What I wasn’t anticipating was a lengthy series of questions where he seemed to be insinuating that the Jews of today aren’t really same people as the Jews of the Bible,” Huckabee wrote, adding that Tucker’s obsession with conspiracies regarding the provenance of Ashkenazi Jews obscured the fact that most Israeli Jews were refugees from the Arab and Muslim world.

The idea that Ashkenazi Jews are an Asiatic tribe who invented a false ancestry “gained traction in the 80’s and 90’s with David Duke and other Klansmen and neo-Nazis,” Huckabee wrote. “It has really caught fire in recent years on the Internet and social media, mostly from some of the most overt antisemites and Jew haters you can find.”

Carlson branded Israel “probably the most violent country on earth” and cited the false claim that Israel President Isaac Herzog had visited the infamous island of the late, disgraced sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

“The current president of Israel, whom I know you know, apparently was at ‘pedo island.’ That’s what it says,” Carlson said, citing a debunked claim made by The Times reporter Gabrielle Weiniger. “Still-living, high-level Israeli officials are directly implicated in Epstein’s life, if not his crimes, so I think you’d be following this.”

Another misleading claim made by Carlson was that there were more Christians in Qatar than in Israel.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Pezeshkian Says Iran Will Not Bow to Pressure Amid US Nuclear Talks

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian attends the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Summit 2025, in Tianjin, China, September 1, 2025. Iran’s Presidential website/WANA (West Asia News Agency)/Handout via REUTERS

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said on Saturday that his country would not bow its head to pressure from world powers amid nuclear talks with the United States.

“World powers are lining up to force us to bow our heads… but we will not bow our heads despite all the problems that they are creating for us,” Pezeshkian said in a speech carried live by state TV.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Italy’s RAI Apologizes after Latest Gaffe Targets Israeli Bobsleigh Team

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics – Bobsleigh – 4-man Heat 1 – Cortina Sliding Centre, Cortina d’Ampezzo, Italy – February 21, 2026. Adam Edelman of Israel, Menachem Chen of Israel, Uri Zisman of Israel, Omer Katz of Israel in action during Heat 1. Photo: REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

Italy’s state broadcaster RAI was forced to apologize to the Jewish community on Saturday after an off‑air remark advising its producers to “avoid” the Israeli crew was broadcast before coverage of the Four-Man bobsleigh event at the Winter Olympics.

The head of RAI’s sports division had already resigned earlier in the week after his error-ridden commentary at the Milano Cortina 2026 opening ceremony two weeks ago triggered a revolt among its journalists.

On Saturday, viewers heard “Let’s avoid crew number 21, which is the Israeli one” and then “no, because …” before the sound was cut off.

RAI CEO Giampaolo Rossi said the incident represented a “serious” breach of the principles of impartiality, respect and inclusion that should guide the public broadcaster.

He added that RAI had opened an internal inquiry to swiftly determine any responsibility and any potential disciplinary procedures.

In a separate statement RAI’s board of directors condemned the remark as “unacceptable.”

The board apologized to the Jewish community, the athletes involved and all viewers who felt offended.

RAI is the country’s largest media organization and operates national television, radio and digital news services.

The union representing RAI journalists, Usigrai, had said Paolo Petrecca’s opening ceremony commentary had dealt “a serious blow” to the company’s credibility.

His missteps included misidentifying venues and public figures, and making comments about national teams that were widely criticized.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2017 - 2023 Jewish Post & News