Connect with us

RSS

Terror Attack in West Bank Leaves 1 Dead, 11 Injured

Israeli officials work at the scene of a shooting attack by Palestinian gunmen near the Maale Adumim settlement, in the West Bank February 22, 2024. REUTERS/Ammar Awad

Three terrorists opened fire on Israelis sitting in traffic on Thursday morning, killing one and injuring 11 others, including a pregnant woman.

An IDF soldier who was recently released for reserve duty was one of those shot multiple times, but mustered enough strength to kill two of the terrorists, while a third was later “neutralized.”

The murdered Israeli was named as Matan Elmaliah, 26, from Ma’ale Adumim.

The attack occurred near at a checkpoint on Highway 1, the road connecting the Maale Adumim settlements to Jerusalem. Police have said the three attackers were brothers Muhammad and Kathem Zawahra from Taamra and Ahmed Al-Wahsh from Zaatara. The man they killed was reported by Magen David Adom to be a man in his 20s.

Hanania ben Shimon was the fighter who took down the terrorists.

His father, Eric, speaking at the scene of the attack told the media He was released a week and a half ago from Khan Younis, after serving in the Gaza Strip in the reserves for four months. When the terrorist stopped the vehicle on his left side, and started shooting, he fired the first bullet at him through the window, then he got out, rowed into contact, killed the terrorist and was wounded as well.

A friend added He is a hero. He is the beautiful of the Land of Israel. He returned last week from fighting in Khan Younis after three months in Gaza, got a gun license to save lives and started working as a travel security guardWhen he was in Khan Younis, he told me how united the people of Israel are and how willing he is to risk himself for the country and for the citizens. Today these words take on a new meaning.

The attack occured over an area of at least two kilometers, according to ​the director of the Jerusalem sector of Magen David Adom, Aviv Hovav.  “[This] made it difficult for us to reach the victims,” he added. “The forces searched the scene, we passed by vehicles and began to evacuate and treat the victims. Due to the traffic jams, we had to evacuate some of the injured through the opposite land.All of the wounded were transported to Jerusalems Shaare Tzedek Hospital.

One of the injured was a pregnant women who was in need of immediate surgery. Director of the Trauma Unit at the hospital, Dr. Alon Shortz, said She arrived conscious and her life is not in dangerRegarding the fetus, it is too early to say. The condition is normal, but it’s hard to say what the condition will be.

The checkpoint where the attack occurred has been pointed out by local Israeli lawmakers living in the area as a death trapin the waiting due to its heavy congestion and the fact that both Israelis and Palestinians traverse the road.

As was the case in Thursdays attack, cars were unable to flee due to the traffic jam, allowing the terrorists to maximize their damage.

We are in an emergency situation,” said Ma’ale Adumim Deputy Mayor Guy Yafarah. “The joint ride with the Palestinians on Route 1 is a ticking time bomb. The Israeli government must find an immediate solution and stop the shared travel of the residents of Ma’ale Adumim and the area with Palestinian vehicles. I demand the construction of the road…immediately.

The post Terror Attack in West Bank Leaves 1 Dead, 11 Injured first appeared on Algemeiner.com.

Continue Reading

RSS

Iran Says Eight Arrested for Suspected Links to Israel’s Mossad Spy Agency

The Mossad recruitment ad. Photo: Screenshot.

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards said on Saturday they had arrested eight people suspected of trying to transmit the coordinates of sensitive sites and details about senior military figures to Israel’s Mossad, Iranian state media reported.

They are accused of having provided the information to the Mossad spy agency during Israel’s air war on Iran in June, when it attacked Iranian nuclear facilities and killed top military commanders as well as civilians in the worst blow to the Islamic Republic since the 1980s war with Iraq.

Iran retaliated with barrages of missiles on Israeli military sites, infrastructure and cities. The United States entered the war on June 22 with strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities.

A Guards statement alleged that the suspects had received specialized training from Mossad via online platforms. It said they were apprehended in northeastern Iran before carrying out their plans, and that materials for making launchers, bombs, explosives and booby traps had been seized.

State media reported earlier this month that Iranian police had arrested as many as 21,000 “suspects” during the 12-day war with Israel, though they did not say what these people had been suspected of doing.

Security forces conducted a campaign of widespread arrests and also stepped up their street presence during the brief war that ended in a US-brokered ceasefire.

Iran has executed at least eight people in recent months, including nuclear scientist Rouzbeh Vadi, hanged on August 9 for passing information to Israel about another scientist killed in Israeli airstrikes.

Human rights groups say Iran uses espionage charges and fast-tracked executions as tools for broader political repression.

Continue Reading

RSS

Body of Idan Shtivi, Murdered on Oct. 7, Retrieved from Gaza in Special IDF Operation

Idan Shtivi. Photo: Courtesy of the family

i24 NewsThe body of Idan Shtivi, a 28-year-old murdered by Palestinian jihadists at the Nova music festival on October 7, 2023, was recovered in a joint operation by the IDF and Shin Bet in central Gaza, it was cleared for publication on Saturday.

Shtivi’s remains were returned to Israel alongside the body of Ilan Weiss, another hostage killed during the October 7 massacre.

“Idan Shtivi was abducted from the Tel Gama area and brutally murdered by Hamas terrorists after acting to rescue and evacuate others from the Nova music festival on October 7th, 2023. He was 28 years old at the time of his death,” read an IDF press release.

“Following an identification process conducted at the National Center for Forensic Medicine, along with the Israel Police and the Military Rabbinate, the Hostages and Missing Persons Headquarters notified his family.”

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Shviti “was a gifted student of sustainability and governance, and a courageous individual” who acted heroically on October 7, helping others flee.

“He was killed in the process and his body was abducted to Gaza by Hamas. My wife and I send our heartfelt condolences to the Shtivi family. So far, 207 hostages have been returned, 148 of them alive. We will continue to act tirelessly and decisively to bring back all our hostages—living and deceased.”

Continue Reading

RSS

Woman Stabbed at Ottawa Grocery Store in Latest Antisemitic Attack

A social media post by the alleged attacker, Joseph Rooke of Cornwall, Ontario. Photo: Screenshot via i24

i24 NewsThe stabbing of a Jewish woman at an Ottawa grocery by a man with a long history of antisemitic posts on social media, the latest antisemitic hate crime in Canada, sparked outrage and prompted condemnation from officials including the prime minister.

Both the victim and the attacker are in their 70s. The woman is reportedly in serious condition.

The suspect was identified as Joseph Rooke, who has authored a series of lengthy rambling screeds on social media, ranting against Israel and Jews.

“Judaism is the world’s oldest cult,” he writes in one post, going on to say “over time jews have become insidious in governments, businesses, media conglomerates, and educational institutions in order to do what they do better than anyone else. Jews are the world’s masters of propaganda, gaslighting, demonization, demagoguery, and outright lying. Using their collective wealth they have become masters of reprisal.”

“I am under no obligation whatsoever, legal, moral, or otherwise, to like jews and I do not. If that means I meet the jewish definition of an anti-semite, so be it.”

Canada has seen a steep spike in antisemitic attacks over the past two years, including a recent incident in Montreal where a Hasidic Jew was beaten in front on his children.

After Prime Minister Mark Carney condemned the incident, many, including former Israel’s ambassador the US Michael Oren, pointed out that Carney’s rhetoric and policies contribute to the increasing insecurity of Canada’s Jewish community through uncritical embrace of outrageous and easily disprovable allegations that Israel and its supporters were guilty of the worst crimes against humanity.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2017 - 2023 Jewish Post & News