Connect with us
Seder Passover
Israel Bonds RRSP
JNF Canada

RSS

Trump to return ancient oil lamps to Israel

WASHINGTON (JTA) — Donald Trump says he will return a set of ancient oil lamps to the Israel Antiquities Authority.

“These historic items were presented by a representative of the Israeli antiquities authority with the full support of the organization,” the Wall Street Journal quoted an unidentified Trump spokesman as saying. “As the items were displayed as originally intended, the office will be expediting their return to the organization’s representative.”

The announcement, published on Thursday, came after a revelation this week in Haaretz that the Israel Antiquities Authority had been asking for the return of the lamps for months, to no avail. Saul Fox, the Jewish Republican donor who gave Trump the priceless items, told the Journal that he believes that the items were meant to be in Trump’s custody permanently.

Fox, who is based in California and is also a major donor to the Israel Antiquities Authority, said that he originally asked the authority to present Trump with the lamps at the White House Hanukkah party in 2019 to thank him for his Israel policies. The State Department needed to first vet the set of six lamps, Fox said, and they were not ready in time for the party.

Three months later, Fox said, he paid for a courier to bring him the lamps. He stored them in his house “and sort of forgot about it,” he told the Journal. Then in 2021, Trump invited Fox to attend a dinner at Mar-a-Lago, the former president’s Florida estate. Fox’s girlfriend designed a presentation case for the lamps.

While he was at Mar-a-Lago, Fox got an urgent message from the director of the Israeli Antiquities Authority saying there had been a “miscommunication,” and that Fox had to return the lamps.

Fox ignored the message and presented the lamps to Trump, believing that while they remained the property of the authority they were to be a “permanent exhibition of Israel’s national treasures” in Trump’s custody. The authority again asked Fox to get the lamps back, but he resisted, finding the request offensive.

The former director of the authority, who organized the sending of the lamps, told the Journal that “Saul Fox operated transparently with the antiquities authority.”


The post Trump to return ancient oil lamps to Israel appeared first on Jewish Telegraphic Agency.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

RSS

Explosion from Hezbollah Drone Leaves Man Seriously Injured in Northern Israel

A suspected Hezbollah drone launched from Lebanon into Israeli territory on July 18, 2022. Photo: IDF

i24 NewsA resident of northern Israel sustained serious injuries on Saturday after an explosive-laden drone, believed to be dispatched by Hezbollah from Lebanon, detonated in a kibbutz located in the Galilee region, according to the Israeli military.

The victim, identified as a member of the Hanita local security team who also served as an IDF reservist, was rushed to a hospital for treatment following the incident.

The Israeli army confirmed that his family has been notified of the situation.

Hezbollah, the Iran-backed militant group based in Lebanon, had previously claimed responsibility for targeting a building utilized by Israeli forces in the border community.

According to Hezbollah’s statement, the group launched suicide drones and rockets from Lebanon towards the northern Israeli community on Saturday afternoon. Sirens alerting residents of incoming drones were sounded in multiple towns near the northern border on two separate occasions.

The attacks by Hezbollah come amidst heightened tensions in the region, with the group reportedly carrying out daily rocket, missile, and drone assaults on northern Israel, particularly amid the conflict in Gaza.

Just a day prior, on Friday night, Hezbollah unleashed a significant barrage of rockets and explosives-laden drones at northern Israel. The onslaught occurred as the country braced for potential retaliatory strikes by Iran or its proxies in response to an alleged Israeli attack in Syria.

The Syrian strike purportedly resulted in the deaths of several members of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

The post Explosion from Hezbollah Drone Leaves Man Seriously Injured in Northern Israel first appeared on Algemeiner.com.

Continue Reading

RSS

Israel Calls Off School Trips, Puts Forces on Full Alert Amid Iran Threat

An Israeli F-35 aircraft is seen on a runway during ‘Blue Flag,’ an aerial exercise hosted by Israel with the participation of foreign air force crews, at the Ovda military air base, southern Israel, Nov. 11, 2019. Photo: Reuters / Amir Cohen / File.

Israel called off on Saturday school trips and other youth activities planned for the coming days, the beginning of the Passover festival, and placed the armed forces on full alert due to a possible attack by Iran.

Announcing the measures in a televised briefing, chief military spokesperson Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari said dozens of combat planes were airborne as part of the state of readiness.

The post Israel Calls Off School Trips, Puts Forces on Full Alert Amid Iran Threat first appeared on Algemeiner.com.

Continue Reading

RSS

Russian Forces Seize Village in Donetsk

Ukrainian soldiers stand in front of a building with a Ukrainian flag on it, during an operation that claims to liberate the first village amid a counter-offensive, in a location given as Blahodatne, Donetsk Region, Ukraine, in this screengrab taken from a handout video released on June 11, 2023. Photo: 68th Separate Hunting Brigade ‘Oleksy Dovbusha’/Handout via REUTERS

i24 NewsThe Russian Defense Ministry announced on Saturday that its forces had successfully seized control of the village of Pervomaiske in Ukraine’s Donetsk region, marking a significant tactical advancement on the front line in the ongoing conflict.

While Russia has claimed it has fully taken village, it has not been confirmed yet.

Simultaneously, a Russia-installed official in Ukraine’s southern Zaporizhzhia region reported that shelling by Ukraine’s military had resulted in the deaths of 10 people, including three children, in the town of Tokmak.

Yevgeny Balitsky, the top Moscow-installed official in the Zaporizhzhia region, revealed that 18 individuals had sustained injuries during the shelling on Friday night.

During the day, Russian troops shelled 8 settlements, striking more than 400 times in Zaporizhzhia Region, destroying residential buildings and infrastructure. There was no information on casualties, the Regional State Administration reports.

Zaporizhzhia RSA pic.twitter.com/u0cOqNW2JI

— T4P (@t4p_ua) April 13, 2024

Furthermore, Balitsky noted the significant destruction in the town, stating, “Two people are reported missing. Debris removal and search continues,” through the Telegram messaging app.

The post Russian Forces Seize Village in Donetsk first appeared on Algemeiner.com.

Continue Reading

Copyright © 2017 - 2023 Jewish Post & News