Anti-Israel demonstrators showed up at the memorial service for former first lady Rosalynn Carter in Atlanta on Tuesday, falsely accusing Israel of genocide and lambasting US President Joe Biden over American support for the Jewish state.
Chanting loudly and holding political signs, the protesters gathered outside Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church, where Carter was being memorialized in a tribute service. Carter, the wife of former US President Jimmy Carter, died earlier this month at the age of 96. The couple had been together for 77 years.
Biden appeared at the service along with former President Bill Clinton, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, former first lady Michelle Obama, Atlanta Mayor Andre Dickens, and US Sens. Jon Ossoff (D-GA) and Raphael Warnock (D-GA), among other big names.
The protesters did not miss the opportunity with so many high-profile figures present to demonstrate. They chanted “Biden, Biden, you can’t hide. We charge you with genocide!” as the president’s motorcade approached.
Activists also held up signs reading “End all US aid to Israel” and “Ceasefire now! Stop Israel and Biden’s genocide.”
Pro-Palestinian protesters demonstrate outside the memorial service for former First Lady Rosalynn Carter in Atlanta. pic.twitter.com/Gvxcn0H1uh
— The Recount (@therecount) November 28, 2023
Since the Hamas terror group’s Oct. 7 massacre across southern Israel, and amid the Jewish state’s military response in Gaza, anti-Israel protests have erupted across the US and other countries. Many of the rallies have descended into pro-Hamas demonstrations and antisemitic harassment targeting the Jewish community.
Carter’s funeral will be held on Wednesday in Plains, Georgia, where she and her husband lived.
Pope Condemns Anti-Judaism, Antisemitism Amid New Wave of Attacks Against Jews
Pope Francis condemned all forms of anti-Judaism and antisemitism, labeling them as a “sin against God,” after noticing an increase in attacks against Jews around the world.
“(The Church) rejects every form of anti-Judaism and antisemitism, unequivocally condemning manifestations of hatred towards Jews and Judaism as a sin against God,” the pontiff wrote in a letter to the Jewish population of Israel dated Feb. 2 and made public on Saturday.
“Together with you, we, Catholics, are very concerned about the terrible increase in attacks against Jews around the world. We had hoped that ‘never again’ would be a refrain heard by the new generations,” he added.
The Pope noted that wars and divisions are increasing all over the world “in a sort of piecemeal world war,” hitting the lives of many populations.
Francis, 87, has condemned Hamas’ Oct. 7 cross-border attack from Gaza into southern Israel. He has also said on several occasions that a two-state solution was needed to put an end to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
In his letter, the pope also called, once again, for the release of those hostages still being held by militants.
He said his heart was torn at the sight of the conflict in the Holy Land and the division and hatred stemming from it, adding that the world was looking at the unfolding of events in the area with “apprehension and pain.”
He assured the Jewish community of his closeness and affection, “particularly (those) consumed by anguish, pain, fear and even anger,” repeating his call for the end of the war.
Francis said he prayed for peace. “My heart is close to you, to the Holy Land, to all the peoples who inhabit it, Israelis and Palestinians, and I pray that the desire for peace may prevail in all.”
The post Pope Condemns Anti-Judaism, Antisemitism Amid New Wave of Attacks Against Jews first appeared on Algemeiner.com.
Israel Says It Has Struck More than 50 Hezbollah Targets in Syria Since Oct 7
The Israeli military said on Saturday that since the outbreak of the Gaza war on Oct. 7 it had struck more than 50 targets in Syria linked to the Iranian-backed Lebanese terror group Hezbollah.
The remarks, in a briefing by chief military spokesperson Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari that mainly discussed efforts to beat back Hezbollah attacks launched in solidarity with Hamas, were a departure from Israel’s usual reticence about Syria operations.
“Everywhere Hezbollah is, we shall be. We will take action everywhere required in the Middle East,” Hagari said.
Israeli forces have attacked 34,000 Hezbollah targets in Lebanon, including 120 border surveillance outposts, 40 caches of missiles and other weaponry and more than 40 command centers, Hagari said. He put the number of enemy dead at more than 200.
Hagari said Israel had deployed three army divisions along its side of the Lebanese border in anticipation of Hezbollah getting involved after Palestinian Hamas launched a shock cross-border attack on Oct. 7, triggering the war in the Gaza Strip.
With tens of thousands of its northern residents having evacuated, Israel has threatened to escalate the Lebanon fighting unless Hezbollah backs off from the border – and has sought Western help in finding a diplomatic solution in Beirut.
The post Israel Says It Has Struck More than 50 Hezbollah Targets in Syria Since Oct 7 first appeared on Algemeiner.com.
American Bases Attacked Within Hours of Retaliatory Strikes in Iraq
i24 News – American bases once again came under attack by unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and missiles, according to Shahab news agency, just a few hours after extensive retaliatory strikes by the United States against Iranian-backed militias in Syria and Iraq.
Following the death of three American soldiers by a drone strike in Jordan, the U.S. carried out strikes against 85 targets located at seven locations in the region, as well as imposing fresh sanctions and reportedly a cyber attack on Iranian targets.
American officials told The New York Times that the U.S. conducted covert cyber-operations against Iranian targets, but declined to provide further details. Though there were overt sanctions on officials from Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) cyber division, including the department’s commander Hamid Reza Lashgarian, as well as on companies reportedly supplying the offensive programs.
Furthermore, the Saudi AlHadath channel reported that a senior commander of the Iranian-backed militias was killed in one of the U.S. strikes in Iraq. While other reports indicate that the attacks will result in “significant damage” to the capabilities of the targeted groups, with initial estimates of six dead and 11 wounded.
U.S. President Joe Biden described the operation as striking “targets at facilities in Iraq and Syria that the IRGC and affiliated militia use to attack U.S. forces. Our response began today. It will continue at times and places of our choosing.”
“The United States does not seek conflict in the Middle East or anywhere else in the world. But let all those who might seek to do us harm know this: If you harm an American, we will respond,” Biden concluded.
Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Quds Force and affiliated militia groups continue to represent a direct threat to the stability of Iraq, the region, and the safety of Americans. We will continue to take action, do whatever is necessary to protect our people, and… pic.twitter.com/Y53nvRfjjx
— U.S. Central Command (@CENTCOM) February 3, 2024
General Michael E. Kurilla, the U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) commander, posted on X a video of a B-1 bomber taking off, and wrote “Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Quds Force and affiliated militia groups continue to represent a direct threat to the stability of Iraq, the region, and the safety of Americans. We will continue to take action, do whatever is necessary to protect our people, and hold those responsible who threaten their safety.”
According to reports, some of the arsenal used were long-range bombers like the B-1 that flew from the continental United States to carry out the attacks. National Security Council spokesman, John Kirby, said “there will be additional response action taken in coming days”.
In addition, some reports indicate the Jordanian Air Force participated in the strikes.
The post American Bases Attacked Within Hours of Retaliatory Strikes in Iraq first appeared on Algemeiner.com.